DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Newbie ?? AVI or DVI, Deinterlace or not. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/482068-newbie-avi-dvi-deinterlace-not.html)

Jeff Hinson July 18th, 2010 06:12 AM

Newbie ?? AVI or DVI, Deinterlace or not.

Im starting to shoot video with my new A1 and using 60i HD...since this is the only format I understand right now.

Question.

After editing should I export to Microsoft AVI or Microsoft DV AVI ? I cant seem to find the difference between the two. Or should I "skip" this step and go directly to make DVD?

Since my target will be DVD..should I always "deinterlace" my captured 60i footage.

Thanks,

Jeff

Danny Winn July 24th, 2010 10:21 AM

If you plan to export as HD then DO NOT export as any kind of AVI as the file would be too large and the bitrate too high to play, I would suggest exporting as MPEG2. Uncompressed HD footage is a bad idea IMO.

You also have to remember that a standard DVD is not HD anyway, so unless you're writing for Bluray exporting as HD is not neccasary.

As far as Deinterlacing, I personally shoot at 30FPS and capture and export everything as progressive, I can't stand the interlaced look especially for a "Movie/Film look".

But deinterlacing or not will come down to your personal taste, you'll have to mess around with both exports and decide which one is for you.

Peter Manojlovic July 24th, 2010 12:53 PM

Jeff.....
There's a whole range of issues that plague your needs. The biggest obstacle is getting a proper HDtoSD downconversion. This is where you're at currently....

You also need to understand, that to do a proper HD60i to SD60i is very difficult without several different tools. Most people don't have the patience, and simply live with what they've got.
There's several dozen ways, and several dozen caveats to doing this, and it is all subjective..

IF you've already captured the 1080i footage, and have edited it, then yes, the next best thing (not perfect), would be to deinterlace, and the resize to 480i..
It's my shortest and fastest answer without getting into too much depth..

Jeff Hinson July 25th, 2010 03:17 AM

Danny & Peter...
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Im learning there is "much more to learn"...ha

I have decided on shooting 30f with progressive editing. I am using the A1 to downconvert to SD during capture. I have tried capturing HD and having Adobe Premiere do the conversion, but I cant tell any difference in quality. Of course, I dont even know if I did that correctly.

I do see better quality SD as compared to my GL1, so that's a plus. I hoping to be able to provide good quality video with the tools I have, without having to spend a bundle on additional software/hardware.

I will keep experimenting, and reading the great posts on this forum.

Thanks so much,
Jeff