DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   SD or HD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/482073-sd-hd.html)

G. Randy Brown July 18th, 2010 08:22 AM

SD or HD?

Hey,
If I know a project is going to DVD and not blu-ray is there any advantage to shooting HD and then downconverting in post or is it better to just shoot SD widescreen?
Thanks very much,
Randy

Bruce Watson July 18th, 2010 08:41 AM

Given a choice, I always shoot at the maximum capabilities of the camera. Because I never know if the footage will be needed for something else later. IOW, one never knows if a client won't come back later and want that same "DVD only" project reworked for blu-ray. It's usually better to downrez than to uprez.

The cost of doing this is increased file sizes, and increased processing time which is often not that big a penalty with modern hardware.

David W. Jones July 18th, 2010 11:59 AM

I tend to always acquire in HD even when delivering in SD.
It gives me the option to resize the shot if needed.

By the way, I do a ton of voice work in Las Cruces.
Just wondering what it's like there?

Dave

Les Wilson July 18th, 2010 12:10 PM

I've see some HV footage edited on Premier that has downrez artifacts that match this article's explanation of what can happen when shooting HD and producing SD: XDCAM-USER.com Getting SD from HD and the problems of oversampling.

I use Final Cut Pro and an A1 and have been pleased with the downrezing. If your camera/NLE/DVD packages don't do a good job, your camera's DownConvert may do better. That way you can have the benefits of capture and archive at HD.

G. Randy Brown July 18th, 2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 1549901)
I tend to always acquire in HD even when delivering in SD.
It gives me the option to resize the shot if needed.

By the way, I do a ton of voice work in Las Cruces.
Just wondering what it's like there?

Dave

By resizing do you mean to be able to zoom in post?
Las Cruces, I absolutely love it except from mid July until late August, it's miserable because the humidity gets up to ...well, normal....however 90% of the homes here have swamp coolers and they don't work worth a crap when it's humid....wahhhhh...but then again it's very nice to be able to wear a T-shirt outside in January...I do own a leather jacket but only wear it because it makes me look cool.

G. Randy Brown July 18th, 2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1549904)
I've see some HV footage edited on Premier that has downrez artifacts that match this article's explanation of what can happen when shooting HD and producing SD: XDCAM-USER.com Getting SD from HD and the problems of oversampling.

I use Final Cut Pro and an A1 and have been pleased with the downrezing. If your camera/NLE/DVD packages don't do a good job, your camera's DownConvert may do better. That way you can have the benefits of capture and archive at HD.

Yessir, I've read to not downconvert in the camera

Rainer Listing July 19th, 2010 06:08 PM

This is seriously a major topic especially for those of us agonizing over whether to keep our XL2s. Theoretically, if you squeeze 5 pixels into 1, which is in effect what you are doing when you are downconverting (PAL), however you do it, some pixels are going to go the wrong way, so you should be better off shooting SD. So why do Hollywood movies on commercial DVD look better than our DV footage? With the post downconvertors available to us, there are artifacts/shimmer, especially noticeable where you have straight edges. But to me overall my post downconverted HD footage just does look better than equivalent original SD. I'd also comment that I have tried shooting slightly softer HD to see if I could get better SD - the result was quite opposite (a slight blur in post as suggested in the article can help).

David Stembridge July 19th, 2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1549904)
I use Final Cut Pro and an A1 and have been pleased with the downrezing.

Les, what is your method within FCP? I shot an interview in HD on my XHA1s and exported it to much footage shot as 16:9 SD It took a while; but looked very good. Would be interested i finding a little quicker method

Les Wilson July 20th, 2010 06:16 AM

Import footage into FCP using HDV 60i
Export as Quicktime file
Master DVD with Toast, iDVD or DVD Studio Pro

David W. Jones July 21st, 2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G. Randy Brown (Post 1549908)
By resizing do you mean to be able to zoom in post?
Las Cruces, I absolutely love it except from mid July until late August, it's miserable because the humidity gets up to ...well, normal....however 90% of the homes here have swamp coolers and they don't work worth a crap when it's humid....wahhhhh...but then again it's very nice to be able to wear a T-shirt outside in January...I do own a leather jacket but only wear it because it makes me look cool.

Yes zoom or reframe the shot in post.

Just voiced two more spots for your market today.... I love working in Las Cruces!

G. Randy Brown July 21st, 2010 04:03 PM

"Just voiced two more spots for your market today.... I love working in Las Cruces! "

I would like to hear some samples can you send me some or have some online somewhere?
BTW, just out of curiosity who are you working for in Cruces?

David W. Jones July 21st, 2010 04:54 PM

Did Martin Tire the other day, and a couple for the Borman Autoplex today.
Should be able to hear me on the radio and TV there.

Dave

G. Randy Brown July 21st, 2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 1550916)
Did Martin Tire the other day, and a couple for the Borman Autoplex today.
Should be able to hear me on the radio and TV there.

Dave

OMG, you're not the voice calling all the other car dealers chickens are you??!!!

David W. Jones July 22nd, 2010 06:24 AM

We did those some time back.
The new pitch is $99.

G. Randy Brown July 22nd, 2010 07:33 AM

I just took a look at your demo reel...looks very impressive...I doubt I could afford your VO but I'll contact you next time anyway.