DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Go out and shoot! Film on Hulu! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/483477-go-out-shoot-film-hulu.html)

Takashi Doscher August 17th, 2010 12:12 PM

Go out and shoot! Film on Hulu!

I am a loyal DVinfo member and a 23 year-old filmmaker. The link below is to a film that I have spent the past 2 years of my life making. It has just launched on Hulu for a limited release for two weeks, and I wanted to share it.

Please excuse the self-promotion, but I read so many posts here about people looking to start off in the business, or about how to make movies. I want to share some words of encouragement. I want to encourage young people to just go out and make something- go out and create. There are too many people making excuses that they don't have the right equipment or enough money. People are waiting for the RED Scarlet. People are waiting for the next MacPro. Stop waiting. Just go out and make something.

I would love to answer any questions you guys may have about Kyle, the film, or the entire process. It was shot using an XHA1 and a HV30. The film is now the #1 most popular movie on Hulu! I hope you enjoy it!

Hulu - A Fighting Chance - Watch the full feature film now.

Kevin Lewis August 17th, 2010 08:53 PM

Congratulations on your film. I remeber hearing abouthis project about a year ago. I was wondering what ever became of it. I am familer with Kyles story as I have been an MMA fan for many years. Good luck with your film, I wish you the best.

Kevin Lewis August 17th, 2010 09:05 PM

A few technical questions for you:
What were your camera settings 30p?
What type of light kit did you use for the interviews?
What NLE did you edit in?
Did you use any lens adapters?

Takashi Doscher August 24th, 2010 02:37 PM

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to answer all questions.

We shot in 24p for the whole movie. We used a completely stock XH - no lens adaptors at all. We edited in Final Cut Pro on a couple of macbooks.

As far as lighting is concerned, we were really strapped by our budget and crew (only two of us). We used some china balls and a softbox. That is it.

What a learning experience it was! Its amazing, looking back, how many things i would do differently, so please do not use this as a good guide if you are getting started!

Jerry Porter August 24th, 2010 03:31 PM

OK I don't have the time to watch the whole thing right now but I'm really impressed so far. Looks GREAT and the story is even better.

Jerry Porter August 24th, 2010 08:21 PM

Watched the whole thing..... AMAZING you just spent two years of you life creating a great piece!!!!! I was inspired, motivated, and captivated. BTW I have about 2,000 jumps and know the guys at the end of the film! You did a great job and have a bright future.