DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Turning the Canon XH-A1 and Sony MRC1K into a reliable tapeless kit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/484610-turning-canon-xh-a1-sony-mrc1k-into-reliable-tapeless-kit.html)

Les Wilson September 11th, 2010 08:37 PM

Turning the Canon XH-A1 and Sony MRC1K into a reliable tapeless kit

The phenomenon of the Sony MRC1K seemingly randomly mistaking the A1 for a computer is well documented and experienced differently on different A1 units. Short of buying a Z5 which was designed to mate with the MRC1K, I found a way to reliably overcome the problem between the MRC1K and the XH-A1. YMMV.

p.s. for those who don't want to mount the MRC1K on the hotshoe, I found that using a piece of 1/4" aluminum, I could fashion a sled that lets me mount the MRC1K behind the battery door and with some angle aluminum and ingenuity, create a tab for wireless receiver ala the MA-100 of XL1 ilk.

Allan Black September 12th, 2010 07:53 PM

Thanks for this Les.

What cards do you use, do you also run a tape as back up? And this would work with the A1S?

Cheers.

Les Wilson September 12th, 2010 08:45 PM

I used 16GB 133x Elite Pro cards. I don't know if this technique is specific to the A1. Frankly, I don't even know if the problem plagues the A1s model.

At times I ran tape and at others CF only but the later was rare. I seem to remember that there's a way to configure the MRC1K so that it will keep running while you change tapes.

Roger Van Duyn September 13th, 2010 10:31 AM

Thanks for posting this. I'm considering an MRC1K to go with my XH-A1 whenever the finances allow. It would make much more sense for me financially than the newer Canon models.

Of course, the accounting advice I've been receiving of late is to take more salary instead of plowing everything back into the business. Otherwise, the IRS might think I'm trying to finance a hobby.

Don Xaliman September 13th, 2010 01:24 PM

What would you be gaining by using an MRC1K to an XH-A1?
Fast file transfer and longer recording times is all that I understand.
However a new Canon model will give you those two features plus better image quality.

Is there any device that will allow you to record the component output of the XH-A1?
With that scenario you could also gain an increase in image quality.

David Rice September 13th, 2010 06:02 PM

That "new Canon model" with a decent 18x-20x lens will cost you $7,000 !!!

Les Wilson September 13th, 2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Xaliman (Post 1568987)
What would you be gaining by using an MRC1K to an XH-A1?
Fast file transfer and longer recording times is all that I understand.

Those features are not insignificant and are gained by a much lower expense than a new camera. The Sony device also gains you cache recording and the ability to record to both tape and solid state. If memory serves, the Sony also keeps recording across tape changes and I think it has a feature that lets you record to tape then trigger CF recording (not sure about the last one).

Bo Sundvall September 14th, 2010 01:26 AM

And no more tape dropouts. Wish I had a solid state recorder...

/Bo

Mark Fry September 22nd, 2010 10:44 AM

For some reason (probably my ancient PC/Browser/Internet connection), I'm unable to view the Vimeo clip. Les, would you be kind enough a write brief summary of your technique, please? Many thanks.

Les Wilson September 23rd, 2010 11:44 AM

If they aren't already connected, tether the units with the Firewire cable
Power off both units and disconnect the Firewire from the MRC1K
Eject the CF card and reinsert (This is the key step)
Power up the MRC1K
Insert the Firewire cable into the MRC1K
Power on the A1

You may find that the disconnect and reconnect of the Firewire cable is unneeded. My experience was that the failure would not occur after that until I stopped using the rig for 30 minutes with the two units connected but unpowered.