DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Manual settings for shooting Osborne Lights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/486553-manual-settings-shooting-osborne-lights.html)

Stephen Sobel October 24th, 2010 11:25 AM

Manual settings for shooting Osborne Lights

I will be in DisneyWorld late November for a couple of days, and will be videotaping the Osborne Lights one evening with my XH-A1. I've doen this once before, using automatic settings. I plan on using manual settings this time, and wondered if anyone had any tips for the best settings.

Richard Lucas October 25th, 2010 08:00 PM

I have no idea what the "Osborne Lights" are. Perhaps you can describe them. That might get some thoughts from those of us who have never been to the mouse kingdom.

Stephen Sobel October 25th, 2010 09:02 PM

Sorry - I should have included a description. Here's a quote from one of the Disney World webpages:

"The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights on the Streets of America at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park is a breathtaking seasonal display featuring millions of glittering lights perfectly synchronized to holiday music.

The lights are so extensive you may find it hard to comprehend their magnitude. Entire buildings are blanketed in sheets of multi-colored lights, and thousands more lights form twirling carousels, heavenly angels, and even Santa and his reindeer. Approximately every 10 minutes, the lights dim and then dramatically spring to life — dynamically choreographed to traditional holiday music. You have to see the effect to believe it!

The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights started modestly in Arkansas as a single home's annual display. Every year, Jennings Osborne and his family set up an elaborate collection of holiday lights and over the years, the collection of lights grew, and grew... and grew! In 1995, the Osborne family decided to share their magic with the world, and Walt Disney World Resort happily offered to become the new permanent home for this exceptional exhibition of holiday cheer."

Stephen Sobel November 3rd, 2010 04:15 PM

Update: I draped some christmas lights on a couple of bushes in front of my house, and then videotaped them at night trying several different settings. I did a set in 60i, and a set in 30f. With both of those settings, I did some in automatic and some in manual. With each of those variations, I shot some using the canon basic setting, the Realty preset, the True Color preset, the PFVision preset, and the VIVIDRGB preset.

I didn't notice any real difference between 60i and 30f. The settings I liked the most were using the PVFision preset in manual, with the shutter at 1/60 or 1/30 with f2.2, and with the gamma at +3.

Have any of you shot outdoor christmas lights with different settings that you think would look better?