DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Basic Function Issue(s) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/487058-basic-function-issue-s.html)

Matthew Nothelfer November 5th, 2010 03:18 PM

Basic Function Issue(s)

Anyone know why the menu button would work fine while in shooting mode but was completely inoperable when in VCR mode? Additionally the scroll input/volume knob does nothing in VCR, but shooting mode is working a-okay.

Also, playback buttons have ceased to function. Otherwise all else seems fine.

Cheers,
Matt

Allan Black November 5th, 2010 03:44 PM

Which camera is it? Try a reset.

Cheers.

Matthew Nothelfer November 5th, 2010 06:44 PM

Reset

Well whatayaknow? Did the reset thing and now no buttons work save for record and colortemp.

Great.

Xha1, BTW.

Allan Black November 5th, 2010 09:10 PM

It was worth trying a reset before you sent your A1 in for repair, hope it's under warranty.

Maybe take it down to a Canon vidcam retailer and let them take a look first tho.

Cheers.

Matthew Nothelfer November 5th, 2010 10:15 PM

Drop it off

Yeah, Id love to run it down to my Canon dealer. Too bad he's in California and I'm working in Patagonia.

Doh

Lesson: until the end of the shoot, don't mess with the camera as long as it's functioning enough to operate.

My guess is that the internal board has a short that causing a function miscommunication. As I said, it was working okay in one mode, not the other. Now, it's screwed up either way. Live and learn.

Cheers

Chris Soucy November 6th, 2010 04:05 PM

Hi, Mathew..............

Just as a matter of interest, can you tell us what sort of climatic and living conditions the camera has been subject to recently?

Electronic failure is very rare if used in standard operating conditions, the finger can, in many cases, be pointed instead to handling/ shock or very high/ low humidity/ condensation.

Also, what run hours has the camera had on it in the last few weeks?

I'm just trying to eliminate the variables.

CS

Matthew Nothelfer November 6th, 2010 08:27 PM

What's "Normal"?

Shooting a video for a couple getting married in a nice dry church? Yeah, for some people. This camera gets used outdoors 90% of the time. Before Southern Chile it was the Eastern Caribbean. I have rain gear, but, yeah, the cam's in wet conditions.

The thing has served me well going back three years when I first used it in Beijing in the early winter... Where it rained on me there too.

I'm sad to see it fail, but that's the way it goes. These things are so cheap they're practically disposable cameras. I sure nuff got my 3k out of it. I got a secondary camera on this current gig, so it's not a mission critical failure.

Thought someone might know a trick to kind of reboot the circuitry, and since the reset toggle didnt accomplish anything positive, I'll see about getting it repaired when I'm back stateside.

I'll finally get that mic fixed too. I don't care what anyone says, when a build in mic "droops" over 10%, that means it's broken.