DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Xh A1 Tape eject issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/506404-xh-a1-tape-eject-issues.html)

Jeremy Daniel March 26th, 2012 04:10 PM

Xh A1 Tape eject issues

I obtained this camera a few days ago and it has given me problems with the tape ejector. I am able to open the cassette door but the mechanics inside don't budge. I performed a hard reset on the camera and it worked for a few minutes and now it doesn't work again. Anyone have any advice? I am running out of patience.

Chris Hurd March 26th, 2012 04:30 PM

Re: Xh A1 Tape eject issues

Sorry to say it, Jeremy, but it sounds like a trip to Canon factory service will be your next step. That's always a good idea anyway for any newly acquired used camcorder.
They will do a clean & check, and diagnose your trouble.

Start here: Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office

Good luck, and please report back.

Allan Black March 26th, 2012 06:07 PM

Jeremy that's a sad first post fer sure.

But don't feel downcast-dejected-discouraged-depressed-dispirited-despondant or down in the dumps.

While your device is away in dock, digest your manual and dig through the discussions here to decide what custom presets
you might decide to delve into .. there's definately a deal to do.

Cheers.

Chris Soucy March 26th, 2012 06:13 PM

Hi, Jeremy............

Check the hand strap hasn't been tightened too much.

If it has, it can stop the cassette compartment door from opening far enough to trip the eject mechanism switch.

If the previous owner had small hands it's very possible that is the cause.

CS

Chris Hurd March 26th, 2012 07:16 PM

Hadn't thought of that -- but it's absolutely a real possibility here. Thanks for the tip!

Jeremy Daniel March 27th, 2012 05:34 PM

I checked the strap and had no luck. I was going to return it to the buyer for a refund but he has been MIA...and I'm not sending it out without a guaranteed refund. So it looks like its going off to visit canon.

Anyone have a rough idea as to how much an repair cost through them?

I appreciate all the responses.

Eric Olson March 27th, 2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Daniel (Post 1723474)
Anyone have a rough idea as to how much an repair cost through them?

Since the XHA1 can stream HD video live over firewire, you can skip the tape and record direct to any computer with a firewire. I would suggest testing the rest of the camera using this direct firewire recording method before sending it in for repairs. In the best case, you may discover that you already own small notebook computer that works well as a recorder.

Allan Black March 27th, 2012 06:06 PM

Jeremy, check out the sticky up top to see if you qualify for the free handgrip upgrade when you send it in for repairs it might be still available .. also there's Canon contact info there you'll probably be able to get a quote from.

All the stickies are worth looking at, is your onboard mic Ok? You should have a UV filter on your lens if only for protection from scratches.

If your A1 has any custom settings and you want to keep them, write out a list before you send it in because they will all be deleted while it's being checked.

Also I'd send it in without the battery, Canon will have one. There's a post from someone who claims he didn't get *his* battery back after the repair.

Cheers.

Jeremy Daniel March 27th, 2012 08:19 PM

Now that you mention it, the on board mic doesnt function. It works fine when I attach an external mic. Do you think the handle would effect this?

Thank you for the quote information.

Chris Hurd March 27th, 2012 09:03 PM

That could be a switch setting. Look for the LINE / MIC switch on top of the XLR audio input block.

Kevin Lewis March 28th, 2012 01:18 PM

Also go into your settings to make sure that the xlr is turned off when tring to use the onboard mic.

Allan Black April 1st, 2012 01:35 AM

So Jeremy, how are things in Harrisburg what's the state of your A1?

A post detailing what happened might help other new owners.

Cheers.

Jeremy Daniel April 2nd, 2012 07:39 PM

I shipped my camera off to canon. They received it today. Hopefully in a few days I will have more of a update to deliver.

-JD

Jan Luethje April 4th, 2012 04:24 AM

I recently had the same issue with my five year old XH A1. Canon tech told me, it was caused by wear and tear of something like a flexible circuit board /flat ribbon cable (german: "Flexplatine") connected with the tape-eject mechanism. They charged me 115 Euro for repair.

Jeremy Daniel April 6th, 2012 06:24 PM

Here is what my estimate said:

Cassette compartment will not work to load or eject tape. Mic glued to unit. Screw stripped on mic holder. Replace Extra mic holder assy. Replace grip. Grit in focus, zoom and iris rings. Replace Ring Assy. Signs of corrosion on screws. Check all internal functions. Repair, clean and adjust.

Jan, That is what I read as well throughout my research.

I should be getting it back next week.

Michael DAmbrose April 7th, 2012 10:49 AM

Jeremy,
Curious -- what did that list of fixes cost you?

--Mike

Jeremy Daniel April 7th, 2012 06:19 PM

$420 fixed and shipped to my door.

Maurice Covington April 9th, 2012 06:30 AM

wow! That's expensive. I have an issue with one of my XHA1's but I knowingly traded for the camera. Like your camera, it has a broken on board mic. It's not a big deal for me because I use a RODE mic with the unit. I'm curious to know if they gave an actual cost breakdown. More specifically, did they say what the cost is to repair the mic?

Jeremy Daniel April 11th, 2012 03:09 PM

They didn't give me a break down of each part...just a total part cost.

I received the camera today from Canon...so nice. So so nice.

Eric Olson April 11th, 2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Daniel (Post 1726506)

Congratulations! Given all the things they fixed, it sounds like a bargain. The XHA1 is a wonderful camera for the 20x zoom and high resolution image it obtains with CCD sensors at a reasonable price.

Allan Black April 11th, 2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Daniel (Post 1726506)

So what's the story with your A1 handgrip Jeremy .. did yours already have it, or did it get the free upgrade?

Others will be interested to know if it's still available. Thanks.

Cheers.

Jeremy Daniel April 11th, 2012 08:10 PM

Let me grab my slip quick..

Yep, they replaced it. "Cover Ass'y, Handle: DY1-9032-000 : QTY 1"

Make sure you request it though. If it wasn't for the sticky, I would not have known about it.

Allan Black April 12th, 2012 07:45 PM

"Mic glued to unit" listed in your estimate probably means the previous owner broke the 'on camera' mic off the A1 and tried to repair it by glueing it
back in place.

There's a sticky up top about that and Canon repairing it means that now, you shouldn't get any noise from camera vibration in your audio
when you use that mic.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Cover Ass'y, Handle: DY1-9032-000 : QTY 1"

"QTY 1." there are two and from memory, it was the handle (or handgrip) closest to the lens that wasn't strong enough and breaking off some folks A1 cams.

If you got a total cost on your invoice, are you sure Canon fitted the new 'handle' as their advertised *free* replacement part?

Did they tell you that over the phone?

Cheers.

Jeremy Daniel April 12th, 2012 07:51 PM

Meh...I assumed. The total part cost was 130 for everything. I should've asked them when I was chatting on the phone.

Allan Black April 12th, 2012 08:01 PM

Don't worry about it mate, press on with your new A1.

The next thing I'd suggest, is to check out the 'free' custom presets up top. Are you up for that already? :)

Cheers.

Jeremy Daniel April 14th, 2012 08:00 PM

I tried to download the custom settings but I have having issues. Are these broken files now since they are a few years old?

Allan Black April 14th, 2012 08:56 PM

I don't know but they should be Ok .. read through the download instructions up top, start at post 17.

To save you some time, you might try VIVIDRGB I found it to be very good.

You can install it manually but be careful it's easy to enter wrong values, check post 78 for its values.

Cheers.

Maurice Covington April 15th, 2012 12:14 PM

It's probably been about 6 months since I downloaded the Canon Presets but when I did, there didn't seem to be a problem with them at the time. Now that being said, honestly, I haven't used them. I typically white balance and make all of the necessary on camera manual adjustments. This is a part of my camera that I really need to get into. I just don't have enough confidence in my understanding of all of the settings and how they influence on another.