DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Options for live feed to TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/507840-options-live-feed-tv.html)

John Stakes May 16th, 2012 05:17 PM

Options for live feed to TV

I have a shoot booked where I will need to provide a live feed. I'm trying to make the best decision. If I don't know what type of device the feed will go to, what type of cables/connectors do I need to ensure I am prepared for any situation?

I would like to provide audio and video feed if possible (and if feasible). Would like to provide HD if possible. I think my bare minimum kit would include:

1) 1 x 75ohm RG6 cable
2) 2 x BNC female connectors
3) 1x 75 ohm BNC to RCA

How does that sound?

Thanks
JS

Chris Medico May 16th, 2012 07:10 PM

Re: Options for live feed to TV

Having a up/down/cross SDI scan converter will ensure you supply a signal they can use.

Don Palomaki May 17th, 2012 06:05 AM

Sounds like projection for an event (e.g., reception).
Any point-of-contact at the venue that can give you more information? Pick their brain as to what is there.

What distance will they expect you to run your end of the feed?
If HD, will they want a component feed for a projector?
Don't forget the Canon-furnished cables that connect to the camcorder, and various adapters to go from the RCA to whatever (e.g., XLR for audio, BNC for video, and RCA-to-RCA, etc.)

If feeding audio, you may want to carry an isolation transformer (e.g., Direct Box or similar) to address potential ground loops. If the audio runs are long or through electrically noisy environments, you may want to convert to balanced at/near the camcorder.

Don't forget gaffer's tape to secure your cables.
Be sure you have cable strain relief/management at the camcorder to protect its jacks from trips and yanks on the cables.

John Stakes May 17th, 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1733670)
Having a up/down/cross SDI scan converter will ensure you supply a signal they can use.

Sorry I should've mentioned I am on the XH-A1. So this means I would not be able to use this right? Thanks for your reply Chris.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 1733743)
Sounds like projection for an event (e.g., reception).
Any point-of-contact at the venue that can give you more information? Pick their brain as to what is there.

What distance will they expect you to run your end of the feed?
If HD, will they want a component feed for a projector?
Don't forget the Canon-furnished cables that connect to the camcorder, and various adapters to go from the RCA to whatever (e.g., XLR for audio, BNC for video, and RCA-to-RCA, etc.)

If feeding audio, you may want to carry an isolation transformer (e.g., Direct Box or similar) to address potential ground loops. If the audio runs are long or through electrically noisy environments, you may want to convert to balanced at/near the camcorder.

Don't forget gaffer's tape to secure your cables.
Be sure you have cable strain relief/management at the camcorder to protect its jacks from trips and yanks on the cables.

I have plenty of gaffer's tape. I will be sure to pick up some RCA to BNC, and RCA to RCA adapters. Should I get some component cables to extend the Canon-furnished cable?

For this particular event, the distance is 50-75 feet, and it will connect to a television in a separate room. That's all I will know until setup the day before the event. For the direct box, would that be something like this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/351396-REG/Whirlwind_DIRECT2_DIRECT2_Direct_Box.html
or this??
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/539531-REG/Mackie_402_VLZ3_402_VLZ3_Four_Channel_Compact_Audio.html

Thanks Don.

Thankyou for the reply guys much appreciated.

JS

Don Palomaki May 18th, 2012 06:17 AM

The Whirlwind Direct 2 is the type of thing, but for $20 the Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator Model: 270-054 may work as well for you, especially if full Hi FI sound is not essential. But the distance is a potential concern.

The question boils down to who is responsible for providing the cables to run the 75 feet to the TV, is the TV HD or SD, and what type of connections does it have? Who is payign for it if you have to provide it? What are the consequences of apoor or not-workign conenction? Can you bill costs as an extra? IMHO 75 feet is a long run for unbalanced audio and for general consumer-standards video cables, especially if signal quality at the receiver end is important. You would likely need distribution amps to protect and preserve the signal at this distance. And quality coax cable to carry it is not cheap.

Something like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/537822-REG/Kramer_TP_10_TP_10_Video_and_Audio.html coupled with the corresponding receiver might work as an alternative. It uses relatively economical CAT 5 cable as the link, and claim a useful range of upto 300". (But I do not have experience with these specific devices.)

But these are potential options and ideas to consider. It is difficult to do meanignful "consulting" from 1000 miles away.

I would urge you to visit the venue well in advance to test what every you are planning to use to be sure it works to your (the clients) satisfaction.

John Stakes May 19th, 2012 07:52 PM

Thanks again Don. I requested more info from the client, but at the time it just wasn't available. That's why I just want to put together a well rounded kit. Not so much for this event, but for any event.

I picked up a 100' BNC and some RCA adapters. I guess I'll snatch up a direct box too...the price of the Whirlwind is in my budget so I may snag it. I can see I still have a lot of research to do on the audio side of things so I think for now that would complete my kit. I'll be reading up on the transmitters though thanks for the link!

Thanks for the quick suggestions, huge help! Any other replies are welcome.

My "bare minimum" kit!
1) 100' BNC
2) 2x BNC to RCA
3) 3x RCA to BNC
4) [on order] Whirlwind DIRECT2 Direct Box (or similar)

Best,
JS