DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XHA1 TV play back cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/509978-xha1-tv-play-back-cable.html)

Guy Godwin August 13th, 2012 01:02 PM

XHA1 TV play back cable

Hey folks,
Does anyone know the easiest way to buy a new playback cable? I always view my footage on my big HD TV and have been getting colors errors. I could eliminate the color problem by moving the cable. But, it appears that it has finally died.

any website that i can buy these?

Ed Roo August 13th, 2012 06:51 PM

Re: XHA1 TV play back cable

By "playback" cable, do you mean the long cable with the D-connector on one end and the RYG RCA connectors on the other?

I haven't been able to find a non-Canon source. But that doesn't me that one doesn't exist.

Mark Koha August 13th, 2012 10:08 PM

Canon D-Terminal to Component Video Cable 0976B001 B&H Photo
I'm assuming you mean this one.

Allan Black August 13th, 2012 10:45 PM

Unless it's a cheapie off eBay, the cable might not be the cause.

If you've been using this procedure for yonks, 'moving the cable' might just be making better pin contact with the defective socket on the A1.
The 4 pin Firewire socket on the A1 had similar trouble and Canon went to a 6pin on the upated A1S.

If possible, trundle the rig down to a suitable shop and try it there.

Cheers.

Don Palomaki August 14th, 2012 10:39 AM

Considering the price of anew cable, if you can isolate the problem to a specific RCA plug, it might prove economical to replace just that connector - does require a bit of soldering skill.

Isolation involves moving only small portions of the cable at a time keeping the rest of it imobilized

Guy Godwin August 14th, 2012 01:13 PM

It looks like there may be a history with this issue. I was hoping a bad cable would be it. For the longest time all my play backs would have a green colored tint where it should be blue. I am not sure how I could test this cable unless I had another camera and vise versa.

Either way. I can never get it even come on for a second.

Eric Olson August 14th, 2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Godwin (Post 1748434)
I was hoping a bad cable would be it.

Does the socket on the camera look loose or damaged? If not, then I'd spend the $50 and get the cable. You mentioned that the cable was intermittent before, so it makes sense that it finally broke.

Mark Koha August 14th, 2012 08:50 PM

And as far as I know, these cables break pretty easily despite the brand. It's kind of a complicated connection on the camera end of things.

Chris Soucy August 14th, 2012 11:27 PM

Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if I have the same camera and cable.

Nope, the heading definitely says A1, so guess it's the right one, simply unreckognizable.

I can see nothing cheap or shoddy with the supplied Canon cable, built like a brick out house as far as I can see.

Granted, the "D" connector probably wasn't the smartest move they could make, but even I haven't broken it yet.

First step in solving this is to take the camera and cable to anywhere else that has a screen with Component inputs and see if it works there (if you had a decent Dell PC monitor you'd be laughing, my U2711 has everything but a steam connector).

If it works there, it's a screen problem, cable and camera exhonerated and the Component I/P's on your big screen are toast (else serious colour blindness or finger trouble with the remote).

If it doesn't work, replace the cable with the cheapie from B&H.

If that doesn't fix it, it's back to Canon service for the camera, as the "D" connector, connector board or internal ribbon cable to same has obviously bit the dust.

CS

Don Palomaki August 15th, 2012 05:36 AM

I agree - D-connectors, XLR, and BNC are usually fairly robust.
4-pin firewire, 2.5 and 3,5mm phone jacks are not,
RCA are sort of in the middle.
And the jury is still out on mini USB and mini HDMI connectors.

Image turning green may indicate that the blue connection is bad. You could use a VOM (volt-onm meter, a multi tester) to ring out the cable for continuity. Jsut for kicks, swap the red adn blue conector at the set. Does the image still have a greenish cast (although the colors will be otherwise wrong)? If so, the problem may be with the set.

FWIW: I had a TV set in which the component video input chip had one color amp die resulting in a similar effect.

Guy Godwin August 16th, 2012 10:30 AM

I have tried this on multiple tv sets. Also, now the cable is completely dead. I cant even get the green look. I have found a high end shop in Cincinnati that has either cameras or cables to test each of mine. I think i will just go in and have them check it out.

btw, The socket and connection on the camera seem to be fine.

Allan Black August 16th, 2012 02:40 PM

Guy, box up the whole rig and drive it over to the shop. Phone, make an appointment and see if they can look at it while you're there.

Unfortunately the attitude of some high end shops is also high end, not to mention their prices.

Cheers.

Guy Godwin August 17th, 2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1748738)
Guy, box up the whole rig and drive it over to the shop. Phone, make an appointment and see if they can look at it while you're there.

Unfortunately the attitude of some high end shops is also high end, not to mention their prices.

Cheers.

Went over to the shop today. No appointment or anything and 5 minutes later the cable is dead. The camera was perfect on their bench/cable.

New cable coming from B&H