That tells you how the XH-A1 is outdated at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Major Player

That tells you how the XH-A1 is outdated

I've always been able to sell gear back to B&H

But today this is what they wrote back when I asked them if they'd buy back my XH-A1

"Thank you for submitting your list of merchandise for trade-in evaluation. Unfortunately, we have no market for, or are currently overstocked with the items you wish to sell. Subsequently, at this time we are unable to purchase the equipment which you have listed.
We trust that you will consider B&H for all your future Photographic, Video, and Professional Audio needs. B&H is one of the largest Photo & Video dealers in the country, and we look forward to your business in the future. "

No market for it, uh! Not even for 500 bucks?
Ouch!
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: That tells you how the XH-A1 is outdated

I"m trying to sell my xh-a1 but have a very hard time getting rid of it, if you do a search on second hand camera's in Belgium several used xh-a1 pop up. I do have the advantage that mine comes with a sony hvr-dr60 but even then I seem to be stuck with it. There are also stores still selling the newer xh-a1s at a very low price, probably just to clear stock but they seem to be stuck with it as well.

I think the reason for this is that the canon sold at a price many could afford and it had the features many needed and Canon sold a lot of these, if you would have bhought a first gen Sony ex1 at double the price that would sell real easy, that's the price you pay for getting a cheap(er) camera.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I think the reason for this is that the canon sold at a price many could afford and it had the features many needed and Canon sold a lot of these, if you would have bhought a first gen Sony ex1 at double the price that would sell real easy, that's the price you pay for getting a cheap(er) camera.
Two difficulties selling an XHA1 is that Canon no longer services it and that it has no hour meter to tell how much it has been used. If my web search is correct

the XHA1 sold for $3500 in 2006 and today sells for $700;
the EX1 sold for $7500 in 2008 and today sells for $3500.

In terms of linear depreciation this means

the XHA1 lost $400 or 11.4% of its original value per year;
the EX1 lost $800 or is 10.4% of its original value per year.

As has been mentioned by others, the image quality of the XHA1 holds up well compared to current cameras in good lighting, but not so in low light. It is my understanding that improvements in current cameras result from CMOS sensors and digital filtering. Since computers have also increased in performance, many of the benefits of improved digital filtering can also be had by the XHA1 in post. It is amazing how much improvement a good motion tracking noise filter makes to low light XHA1 footage.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Canon no longer services it
Are you sure about that? There are stores still selling the xh-a1s as new, meaning there is a 2 year warranty on it, in case of a malfunction Canon has to repair it.

Quote:
It is amazing how much improvement a good motion tracking noise filter makes to low light XHA1 footage.
Are you refering to plugins like neatvideo? The xh-a1 still performs image wise for me, just not when they turn down the light and anything I tried, like neatvideo, doesn't do the image much good. Compared to my little Sony cx730's it's like night and day. Otoh cmos is also not the holy grail, I have experienced some nasty banding with led lights that appear to affect cmos mainly but not ccd and to hold on to my xh-a1 just for that has crossed my mind but I rather sell it and spend that cash on accesoires. But as it looks right now it seems like it will stay another tool in my gearbox.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
There are stores still selling the xh-a1s as new, meaning there is a 2 year warranty on it, in case of a malfunction Canon has to repair it.
The XH-A1s is newer than the XH-A1 and still serviced.

Quote:
anything I tried, like neatvideo, doesn't do the image much good.
I'm not sure about neatvideo. I was thinking of some of the noise filters in avisynth

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Extern...ters#Denoisers

They vary in quality, but some of the the spatio-temporal denoisers and hybrid filters based on motion estimation work very well.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Strange that they only service the new s version as both camera are basically the same, where did you get that info that the older xh-a1 model is not being serviced by Canon anymore?

About Avisynth denoisers, my experience tells me that if crap goes in crap has to come out again, even if it has a shiny layer on top of it. Denoisers work very well to a certain extent but if you have muddy looking images with very rough grain you will loose quite a lot after processing.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Major Player

I've got a XH-G1, which I use with a nanoFlash. The nano gives a new lease of life. I'm into wildlife video, and so many of the more modern cams have short zoom ranges.
With my G1, I've got about 600mm full 35mm equivalent at maximum zoom which I can boost to 900mm with my 1.5x "EX" teleconverter.
Also have a XLH1 as my main cam, coupled to a nano. G1 image quality not quite up to XLH1, but I do need to somehow or other match a bit vis custom pre-sets, duplicating those on my H1 doesn't work.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I think as far as resale value goes a XLH1 would hold value much better and sell easier, not sure how that goes for a XH-G1 which was much more expensive then a xh-a1.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Imo BnH are 'overstocked' because of impending fiscal cliff, tape cameras are slowly disappearing and unwanted Xmas presents,
can you imagine, they probably can't cope.

Larry, if you can also sell some new DV tapes, a new cleaner tape, a spare battery, along with some filters etc. then try ebay ..
or a local paper so folks can come and see and you can demonstrate the package.

Canon Australia still service the A1, just before Xmas a local guy got his serviced and I believe they changed the strap support
for the newer replacement one. They'll still send you a fax too.

XH A1 - Canon Australia

Cheers.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Strange that they only service the new s version as both camera are basically the same, where did you get that info that the older xh-a1 model is not being serviced by Canon anymore?
The reason I think Canon doesn't service XH-A1 is because I filled out the online repair form for an XH-A1 that was purchased in 2007 and the website said so. I haven't called to confirm.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Major Player

Sorry, but around here, Canon sends to a third party repair shop. In fact, i go straight to the shop and skip the middleman altogether..If it's a warranty issue, the shop simply sends Canon the bill.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:56 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Sorry, but around here, Canon sends to a third party repair shop. In fact, i go straight to the shop and skip the middleman altogether..If it's a warranty issue, the shop simply sends Canon the bill.
Yes, I should check into that. The sensor block in one camera was serviced a couple years ago and ever since then the white balance presets are too yellow. Manual white balance works fine so it is not a high priority, but for multicam shoots it would be nice if the presets matched.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:49 PM   #13
Major Player

I still love the image of my canon in broad day light or controlled lighting, so it's not that I wasn't happy with it, but you know, at a certain point, when you're not rolling on it and video is a hobby there's no point in having dozen pieces of equipment. One cam is enough. I was hoping to sell it and pay for half of a Panasonic Lumix GH3. I guess I'll keep my XH A1 for a while then.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:59 AM   #14
Wrangler

Camcorder service support is normally based on the numeber of years after the model is discontinued in the product line, not when it was bought. Canon factory support was something like 7 years in the past, not sure what it is today.

Forget percents for a moment, They can mislead when costs differ substantially when the bottom line counts.
The XHA1 lost $2800 in value over 7 years and tied up $3500 - $400 per year
The EX1 lost $4000 in value over 5 years and tied up $8000 - $800 per year, and what will it be worth in another 2 years?

Assuming similar maintenance and consumable costs, which cost less to own over that period?

Of course, in the final analysis you also have to factor in any difference in revenue the camcorders produced over that period of time.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:33 AM   #15
Major Player

Peter
Can you tell me the name of the shop? No such 3rd party shop out here in
Vancouver afaik. Would have to send to Toronto even if canon was still servicing the
XH.

Thanks
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders