DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Which one would you buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/72351-one-would-you-buy.html)

Bill Pryor July 27th, 2006 12:40 PM

I would go for the cheaper one. What I would use this camera for would be primarily documentary style work, so no need for the SDI options.

Chris Hurd July 27th, 2006 01:11 PM

Pretty interesting, out of 83 votes so far, 88% choose the A1 and 12% choose the G1.

Bill Pryor July 27th, 2006 01:41 PM

And it's a good thing for filmmakers that Canon didn't learn from Sony how to dumb down the cheaper model by removing XLRs, etc. You want SDI and genlock, chances are you're more of a studio or multicamera outfit, so you can afford it; you don't need those features, you can still get a camera with the features you do need. Giving people what they want...what a marketing concept! It'll never catch on....

Steven Davis July 27th, 2006 01:53 PM

Why do they look like Cannon took the Z1u skin and wrapped it on the Gl2?

Bill Pryor July 27th, 2006 02:00 PM

Because it's painted Professional Photographer Flat Black?

Tim Le July 27th, 2006 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Why do they look like Cannon took the Z1u skin and wrapped it on the Gl2?

Haha, okay it was a joke.

Heath McKnight July 27th, 2006 02:13 PM

I've noticed most cameras that are around the size of the Z1 look alike, for the most part. Except the Z1/FX1's tape transport is on the left instead of the right.

heath

Steven Davis July 27th, 2006 02:26 PM

ok, next time I'll put a 'haha' behind my jokes.

Charles Perkins July 27th, 2006 02:33 PM

i would go for the G1. simply because i have and H1 aswell and being able to synch them together with GENLOCK and both outputting HD SDI. it would better suit me.

Bob Zimmerman July 27th, 2006 05:46 PM

I also picked the A1. $4,000 will be more in my price range and no other camera's needed right now. Still need to read up on the 24F.

Willard Hill July 28th, 2006 10:49 AM

As some other posters have said Canon is really missing it if they do not bring out a version of the XL-H1 that does not have the SDI output and genlock so that it is affordable to many of us.(Who is going to complain about $500.00 to $1,000 more than the XL-2) At first it was thought that dropping these features would not result in significant savings, but from the price difference between these new cameras it is obvious that this is just what those of us need who use long lenses for wildlife and do not need the other features. Please let this be the August 2nd announcement.

Jeff Krepner July 28th, 2006 11:56 AM

I'd opt for the G1 since I'd like the ability to "future proof" my purchase and skip the HDV stage if some other better (and protable) solution comes available. I do think that $3000 is a little stiff price jump for a few extra BNC connectors and a SDI board. I'd be willing to bet that the street price for the G1 will be lower than we think... I hope so.

Curtis Rhoads July 28th, 2006 01:14 PM

I chose the A1 as it should make a great B-roll cam. I've already got the XL H1, so using the A1 as B-roll and a deck makes the most sense.

Krystian Ramlogan July 28th, 2006 05:07 PM

A1

I also voted for the A1, 'cause I don't need those jacks. I've already got two dv cameras Panasonic (GS150 and DVX100) and a 16mm (regular not super Eclair NPR) - I'm a film student/aspiring filmmaker.

The Canon is the camera I've been waiting on, though I would like to have the option of a VTR and full editing support before I actually buy one.

I've got nothing to complain about, tho maybe the LCD really should be bigger.

I'm looking forward to seeing some footage shot with this baby and also, how much running time you get with batteries.

K.

Chris Hurd July 28th, 2006 05:33 PM

Run time is about five hours with the included BP-950G.