DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Initial User's review of the Canon XH-A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/78730-initial-users-review-canon-xh-a1.html)

Chris Hurd November 3rd, 2006 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Gordon
did it come with some sort of lens cap?

Best question of the day. The answer is that *all* new camcorders come with lens caps.

Chris Hurd November 3rd, 2006 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
So you have to flip open the screen to get to the switch...a little annoying.

You're talking about the daylight vs. tungsten WB switch. Agreed. This is shaping up to be my single biggest complaint about the XH. It's an important switch that has definitely been put in the wrong place. There is a work-around however. Dial in a custom WB setting for Preset Position A of 3200 degrees Kelvin. Then dial in a custom WB setting for Preset Position B of 5600 degrees Kelvin. Problem solved... you've now successfully relocated the daylight / tungsten switch where it belongs, at the expense of giving up the custom WB settings.

Thankfully there's very little else to find fault with.

Henry Cho November 3rd, 2006 12:44 AM

matthew, the minimum focal distance of the lens doesn't seem to be an issue with the m2. i used to have my xl2 crammed up against the m2 with the 16x IS lens to get it as close to the m2's ground glass as possible. the a1 does need a little bit of space however, but the rubber lip on the m2 proves to be more than enough to cover that issue. also, the shim looks to be a couple of mm off between the xl2 and a1... a re-shim of the m2 is probably in order.

Henry Cho November 3rd, 2006 12:47 AM

regarding the wb switch, i find marty's solution to be pretty elegant -- keep the lcd up, but rotated in towards the camera. the lcd is kept off, and you have access to the switch...

Jason Strongfield November 3rd, 2006 01:21 AM

For Adobe Premiere 2.0 users, here is the patch that you need in order to do 24f and 30f.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3408

Henry Cho November 3rd, 2006 02:48 AM

i just finished making the appropriate changes to my m2 setup, and everything seems to be working lovely. once the appropriate shim height is set, the minimum focal distance is a complete non issue. i used the 1/16" shim (the thinnest one in the kit) which aligned the a1 nicely on the vertical axis, and then i was able to push the achromat right up against the m2 and the ground glass was in perfect focus.

here's an image of the setup.

http://www.enjoyuserexperience.com/images/a1_m2.jpg

Stefan Scherperel November 3rd, 2006 03:34 AM

Hey Henry, seeing as how you have your M2 setup, any sign of an LCD flip at all? Seems like this question keeps coming up, but no one has an answer.

Henry Cho November 3rd, 2006 03:43 AM

stefan... i can say, almost definitively, there is no image flip, unless canon put some undocumented easter egg somewhere in their custom functions menu, which is highly doubtful. it's unfortunate as the camera's form factor seems an ideal match for the m2. let's hope for a future update.

Stefan Scherperel November 3rd, 2006 03:46 AM

WEll, that's unfortunate, and seems extremely odd for Canon to leave out, seeing as how the H1 has it, and the A1 is so extremely customizable. Any chance that a magnet will work? :)

Henry Cho November 3rd, 2006 03:57 AM

even if it were possible, i've always been wary of sticking a magnet on the camera, especially a camera i like :). if i recall correctly, a few people messed up their cameras this way. the best portable solution IMHO is to get a small preview monitor with image flip. if the hd monitors are out of your budget, the cheaper 16:9 sd lcds like xenarc, varizoom, etc. should be fine for framing purposes.

Stefan Scherperel November 3rd, 2006 04:02 AM

Actually I allready use an LCD, mounted upside down on my DVX, but I use the magnet as well on the LCD. To me this is still an inconvinience, as there are times when I don't want to use a larger LCD on the camera. I've been using the magnet on the DVX for about 9 months, never had a problem, I think it's important to use a magnet that is strong enough to flip the monitor, but not do any damage. I have even stuck the magnet to other parts of the DVX when I'm not using it, and have never had any problems. Well, hopefully canon will release some kind of update, while it's not really a deal breaker it is a major inconvinience.

Matthew Nayman November 3rd, 2006 05:59 AM

Hey Henry...PHEW! was terrified cause plan to use it exclusivly with the M2!

Anyway, I just finally got my XL2 hardmounted (YES!). Think the hardmount should work with this cam then?

Matt

Chris Hurd November 3rd, 2006 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Scherperel
seems extremely odd for Canon to leave out, seeing as how the H1 has it

Referring to image flip in the LCD... your statement that "the H1 has it" is not entirely accurate. Yes the H1 has this feature, but it does not work when an XL lens is on the camera. The feature is accessible only when the XL lens is removed, and there aren't many adapters that connect directly to the H1 at the lens mount. So for the majority of people, it's as if the image flip feature isn't even there.

Bill Pryor November 3rd, 2006 08:32 AM

Good info on the customizing buttons, Chris. I don't really see the misplacement of those switches as a big deal because I don't generally flip back and forth between daylight and tungsten much. But it's nice to know you can, in effect, put them where you want them if you so desire. That kind of customization is very cool.

A question about the M2 adapter photo...does that cover up the fast auto focus sensor? Also, I'm wondering if anybody has yet checked out the regular through-the-lens focusing at 24F. I know on the XL2, the auto focus button is borderline useless when shooting 24F but OK in 60i.

Bogdan Tyburczy November 3rd, 2006 09:20 AM

Bill -

Like with any 35mm adapter, you need to disable AF in the camera so the location of Fast AF sensor won't matter in that case. Same applies to image stabilizer. The camera has to keep hard steady focus on the screen inside the adapter.

I agree about daylight/tungsten switch. It's not a problem with custom WB settings available so easily.

Henry - thank you for testing the cam with M2. It's good news it works. As far as LCD flip is concerned, I hope the magnet trick works. As long as one uses small piece, it shouldn't cause any damage to the cam, maybe some scratches only.