DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   The answer to better low light = custom settings! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79133-answer-better-low-light-custom-settings.html)

Howard Kalodner November 10th, 2006 07:59 AM

Console Control

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Doyle
Ash brings up a good point with regard to a computer-based solution for editing and saving presets. Does anybody know if Canon's Console will do this?

From the Canon web site:

"CONSOLE software lets you control gamma, master pedestal, color phase, custom presets and AE metering. The interface even includes a wave form and vector display for measuring and adjusting video and phase parameters. The software also allows you to control your XL H1's zoom, focus, white balance, shooting mode and frame rate, as well as its iris and shutter speed."

Brice LeCarre November 10th, 2006 10:33 PM

I need help Ash please

<<If anyone needs help with custom settings for specific situations, I would be happy to help. Once you understand how they all work together in different situations, it is pretty easy to tweak for any situation.>>

Here is the situation. I have been hired to shoot a training video for a group of professional next week during their annual convention in Portland, OR. I have limited time on the XL2 especially on the custom preset department. All I changed so far is Gamma and color matrix to cine.
I'll be shooting in a hotel with ambient light for the most part and with a light kit during formal interviews.
In a nutshell, I don't know where to start with the custom presets. I am afraid that I might make things worse. I don't want to screw up the shoot (i'll be the editor as well) because there might be more work if I make the grade.
My gear includes a sturdy tripod with fluid head. My background is in still photography so I really like beautiful images however, I do not know really what a beautiful video picture should look like and what are the capabilities of the XL2.

Any pointers would be helpful

Brice

Michael Padilla November 10th, 2006 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brice LeCarre
I do not know really what a beautiful video picture should look like and what are the capabilities of the XL2.

There is software available for the xl2 presets that work well!
I do weddings so I used the wedding preset.. go figure..
here is some "beautiful" footage IMHO (however incredibly downresed for the web) that show off some xl2 capabilities:
http://visualmasterpiece.com/quickti...rospective.mov

I will second this though Ash
<<If anyone needs help with custom settings for specific situations, I would be happy to help. Once you understand how they all work together in different situations, it is pretty easy to tweak for any situation.>>
As the presets from the xl2 to the A1 don't relate.. and the menu is more confusing and elaborate than before.. and I'm filming tomorrow for the first time with the A1! I'm bringing the xl2's just incase though.. :)

Brice LeCarre November 10th, 2006 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Padilla
There is software available for the xl2 presets that work well!
I do weddings so I used the wedding preset.. go figure..
here is some "beautiful" footage IMHO (however incredibly downresed for the web) that show off some xl2 capabilities:
http://visualmasterpiece.com/quickti...rospective.mov

Michael.
Beautiful footage great pace great music creative shots in good taste and beautiful picture. Did you do any color correction in post or is it "native" XL2?
Thank you for sharing.
Brice

Michael Padilla November 11th, 2006 12:53 AM

no color correction in that video just the xl2 presets

Brice LeCarre November 11th, 2006 02:00 AM

XL2 presets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Padilla
no color correction in that video just the xl2 presets

Outstanding Michael

Brice

Wade Hanchey November 11th, 2006 06:55 AM

Wow, I got chills. Is this kind of thing learned, or are you born with it? Michael, my hat's off to you.

Michael Padilla November 11th, 2006 10:20 AM

thanks.. I appreciate the comments :)

...Anything on the custom presets...
I think I am going to use the XL2's today just to be safe then...
Unless I can get some decent all-around presets that include low light..
I'm just as confused as other people when it comes to presets, so I appreciate any expert advise.. Ash.. Noel.. anyone?

Steve Montoto March 25th, 2007 05:06 PM

What Custom Preset did you finally use on your A1 for Low Light

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Padilla (Post 572279)
thanks.. I appreciate the comments :)

...Anything on the custom presets...
I think I am going to use the XL2's today just to be safe then...
Unless I can get some decent all-around presets that include low light..
I'm just as confused as other people when it comes to presets, so I appreciate any expert advise.. Ash.. Noel.. anyone?

Just wondering what custom preset you are using for Low light receptions, now you have had time with your A1...

Take care,

Steve