DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   is there a Sony Z1/V1-like lens hood that wiill work on my Canon A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/79926-there-sony-z1-v1-like-lens-hood-wiill-work-my-canon-a1.html)

Herbert Bolander November 18th, 2006 09:32 AM

is there a Sony Z1/V1-like lens hood that wiill work on my Canon A1?

is there a Sony Z1/V1-like lens hood that wiill work on my Canon A1? (probably will involve drilling a little hole for the AF?)

Thanks!

Bill Pryor November 18th, 2006 10:30 AM

What's wrong with the lens hood that came with it? It's about the same as Sony's. Unless you are looking at that picture of the V1 that has the mattebox attached.

Steven Fokkinga November 18th, 2006 10:35 AM

Maybe he's looking for it because it has a built-in lens cap? It could work if both are the same thread size/bayonet system...

Bill Pryor November 18th, 2006 10:39 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that lens flap. That is kind of nice, actually. Both are bayonet mounts, aren't they? In a perfect world they'd be the same...but.... Is the Z1's lens 72mm? I know the V1 is smaller.

Herbert Bolander November 18th, 2006 10:50 AM

Yeah... the lens flap is exactly what interests me...

I've had my A1 for less than 24 hours. I've already lost the lens cap this morning. Dropped my grandsons at the airport this morning and tried out my A1 at the airport. When I came home, I realized I don't have the lens cap anymore... not in the bag, not in the truck... darn it... :(

Chris Hurd November 18th, 2006 11:08 AM

You can get a replacement from Canon parts & service for about $10 or so. To order, call 1-800-OK-CANON and drill through the menu until you get a live human being. Then you need to cultivate the habit of slipping the lens cap into your pants pocket.

Eric Dyer November 18th, 2006 07:17 PM

Habit

Chris is right about the pocket, everytime I take the cap off I put it right into my pocket. Have done this since my XL1s days.

Bill Pryor November 18th, 2006 07:31 PM

I always put the lens cap in my left pocket and have been doing that for so many years it's automatic. The only time I ever lost one was inj the winter when I put it in my left coat pocket instead of pants pocket, and it took me awhile to figure that out.

Steve Nunez November 18th, 2006 07:46 PM

Put a strip of velcro underneath the lens shade out of sight and put the soft-side of the velcro on the inside of the lens cap. When you remove the lens cap- simply stick it to the underside...no more lost caps.

Steve Wolla November 19th, 2006 12:41 AM

Don't the Z1 and XH A1 have the same size thread? Might not a Z1 hood fit right on the A1? If it does, I would use it. Just a thought.

Chris Hurd November 19th, 2006 10:59 AM

The XH lens hood is not screwed onto the lens filter mounting threads. It attaches via the bayonet mounting lugs instead.

Alex Leith November 19th, 2006 02:02 PM

The Z1 lens hood is also on a bayonette type fitting - although I wouldn't imagine for a second that they're going to be similar enough to be interchangable...