DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Should the 'Power Dial' be like this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/81466-should-power-dial-like.html)

Robert Esmonde December 10th, 2006 04:36 PM

Should the 'Power Dial' be like this?

The XH A1 is my first Canon camera so I'm new to the 'Power Dial'.

On my XH A1 I'm surprised at the lack of precision in the selection of each option on the dial. It feels 'rubbery' and even when clicked on a particular position, it's possible to rotate the dial a little and select the next option without actually 'clicking' into the position. So I find I'm constantly checking the LCD or viewfinder to be sure I'm in the mode I initially selected.

Not having anything to compare this to, I'm wondering if this is normal on the Canon 'Power Dial'?

Thanks.

Wade Hanchey December 10th, 2006 05:22 PM

I'm new to it too. Mine has an audible click going into each selection. It isn't hard to change the selection but it feels stiff enough not to accidently bump it to easily. I haven't had any such incidents and don't expect to. No idea if your's feels the same or not. I'm guessing there isn't another one around you could compare it to?

Kevin Myhre December 11th, 2006 03:19 PM

Mine clicks into place and I haven't had a problem with it accidently switching to a different setting.

Robert Esmonde December 11th, 2006 05:41 PM

My dial does click into each selection, and most seem fine but in the first 'Auto' position it's possible to get the next ('TV') setting on the display by moving the dial a little but without engaging the next 'click' setting. And generally the dial does not feel precise the the way it engages each click stop.

Chris Hurd December 11th, 2006 05:56 PM

Robert, are you being careful to press the small grey button on the edge of the power dial as you turn it? That button is the lock on the dial. If you're turning the dial without simultaneously pressing that button, then you're forcing the dial to rotate against the lock, which could account for the strange behavior you're experiencing with that dial.

Robert Esmonde December 13th, 2006 08:10 AM

Thanks Chris.

Yes I am using the 'Power Dial' lock button to release the dial. I've tried again and again now and the 'feel' of the dial is terrible - no sense of the precision one expects from click-stop adjustments.

However , most of the positions, though 'rubbery' in feel, work fine even though they all have an arc of movement anticlockwise and clockwise even when selected. The big probem is with the 'A' setting. When moved anticlockwise it will select the next 'TV' mode without being clicked to the next 'TV' click-stop. I'm just trying to find out if this is typical for the XH A1 before I contact Canon about it.

Steven Rupert December 16th, 2006 11:51 PM

Mine works fine.

Chris Hurd December 17th, 2006 12:18 AM

Robert, what you're describing does not sound at all typical to me.

Robert Esmonde December 17th, 2006 04:28 AM

Thanks everyone for that useful info.

I'll bring my camera back to the dealer and see if I can do a side-by-side comparison with another A1.

Robert Esmonde December 28th, 2006 05:13 AM

Just to wrap up this thread, I brought my camera back to my dealer and compared my dial to a brand new XHA1. No comparison. The new one was positive and clicked securely into each position. So he replaced my camera.

End of 'Power Dial' click stops problem.

Thanks to all who offered their help.