DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Tape Dropouts anyone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/81953-tape-dropouts-anyone.html)

Larry Huntington December 17th, 2006 02:11 PM

Tape Dropouts anyone?

I've had two so far with the A1...anyone else getting them? I have been shooting music concerts with two varities of Panasonic tapes which normally worked well with my XL2. Basically anything shot "live" deserves NO dropouts. I mainly use the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ tape.

Should I consider a Focus HD or should I just run a tape cleaner?

David Tamés December 17th, 2006 03:54 PM

If you're shooting HDV and you're not using the best tape available (for example, Sony Digital Master Tape), you're going to run the risk of more drop-outs. At least that's been my personal experience. Any single drop-out on the tape will cause a disturbance over multiple frames, unlike DV. Again, that's been my experience.

See this thread for more discussion on the topic: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78248

Bill Pryor December 17th, 2006 10:08 PM

I'm using the Panasonic AMQ tapes. No dropouts so far.

Larry Huntington December 17th, 2006 10:25 PM

My first dropout was on an AMQ tape. The second was on a PQ. These are the only tapes I run in my A1.

Anthony Leong December 17th, 2006 10:34 PM

What's the best tapes to be using in the Canon XH-A1? Sony, Panasonic, Fuji....etc?

Andrew Ott December 17th, 2006 11:15 PM

I've had maybe 3 drop-outs so far. All were on the original Canon tape that came with it.

David Tamés December 18th, 2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Leong
What's the best tapes to be using in the Canon XH-A1? Sony, Panasonic, Fuji....etc?

Sony Digital Master Tape is the best assurance against drop-outs. It really does make a difference when shooting HDV. I've shot regular tapes and have had drop-out problems. I've shot with Digital Master and have not seen any problems. This demonstrates to me that Sony's claim that Digital Master offers, "fewer errors and less dropouts than consumer DV tape" is likely to be true. It matches my own experience.

{sony offer info deleted}

Dave Stern December 18th, 2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Tames
<snip> ... And to prove it to you, Sony is currently offering 5 new free Digital Master HDV tapes to people who have recently purchased selected cameras, see here: https://www.hi5mer.com/merlin/sonyhi...get&style=home

FWIW, I have yet to have that site work for me without an error after I type in all my info (including invoice # and camera serial #), and my email to the fulfillment co that sony is using has so far gone unanswered, so so far, I am not convinced it's a real offer... have you gotten it to work and received any tapes?

John Huling December 18th, 2006 03:18 PM

The XH A1 user manual states "do not use wet" type tapes. Isn't the Sony Master Tape "wet". I have used JVC ProHD tape but have had some weird pulse of image problem. I don't know if it is the A1 or the tape. I tried another A1 today and it does the same thing. See my other thread about pulsing.

Bogdan Tyburczy December 18th, 2006 03:56 PM

I dare to say drop-outs are more related to environment quality than tape brand, as long as you use good quality media from trusted sources. Number of dust particles in the air has much more influence here.

No camera in this price range is 100% environmentally protected. Even HVX can suffer. If you drop P2 card and it lands in wrong place or someone steps on it, than it's one big drop-out.

I still use regular MiniDV Sony and Pana tapes until they are out of my stock. No drop-outs so far.

Brad Tyrrell December 18th, 2006 03:57 PM

I thought that was wet "head-cleaning" tape, but maybe I'm wrong.

Bruce S. Yarock December 18th, 2006 04:36 PM

I had several drop outs on a 3 camera shoot with my Canon H1, Canon HV10 and Sony FX1. We shot in 60 hdv, and both of the Canons had 4 drop outs during a one hour concert.
I posted about this on the H1 forum and was advised to use a head cleaning tape on both of the Canons. Also I was using 83 minute Panny mq tapes (i"ve always used those tapes, but 63 min) and several people said that the 83 min tapes are a no no.
Since cleaning the heads and NEVER using 83 min tapes, I ahevn't had a single drop out on either camera.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Jeffrey Billings December 18th, 2006 07:35 PM

No dropouts here

I've been using Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ and I haven't experience any dropouts.

Andrew Ott December 18th, 2006 08:21 PM

What kind of head cleaning tape did you use?

Steven Rupert December 19th, 2006 12:16 AM

Is it safe to use head cleaning tapes on this camera??

David Tamés December 19th, 2006 12:20 AM

I don't know what the real deal is with this 5 Free Sony Tapes offer, so I deleted the link. I've heard mixed reports about it, so I guess further investigation is due. Sorry for the (potential) spreading of a bad link.

David Tamés December 19th, 2006 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Rupert

Head cleaning tapes should only be used when you encounter problems and then only following the instructions that come with it. Head cleaning tapes are abrasive and misuse can lead to premature head wear. If you need to use them, by all means do, but again, follow the directions that come with the tape.

David Tamés December 19th, 2006 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
[...] NEVER using 83 min tapes [...]

In the past six months I've gone through dozens and dozens of HDV and DV tapes, and I had ONE BAD EXPERIENCE with a tape being eaten by a professional Sony deck and guess what? It was an 83 min. tape. I would avoid the longer tapes if at all possible.

Dave Stern December 19th, 2006 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Tames
I don't know what the real deal is with this 5 Free Sony Tapes offer, so I deleted the link. I've heard mixed reports about it, so I guess further investigation is due. Sorry for the (potential) spreading of a bad link.

no problem and I didn't mean to over react.. was just looking for anyone who can really identify what is happening with that offer.

Don Palomaki December 19th, 2006 05:26 AM

FWIW, the literature for the Panasonic AQM tape imples is has:

1. significantlyimproved head wear and anti-clogging characteristics compared to their "previous tape" and

2. less drop out thatn ther "previous tape" and "other brand"

While not stated, "othr brand" is likely Sony, but not clear which variation of Sony or theri own "previous tape" Has anyone seen any objective test data published by a third party recently?

Mike Teutsch December 19th, 2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Rupert

Steven,

Please see page 147 of your owners manual!

Brad Tyrrell December 19th, 2006 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Steven,

Please see page 147 of your owners manual!

Yeah, - there it talks about wet vs dry "cleaning" tapes. I can't seem to find anything about wet vs dry "lube" other than advice here to not mix them.