DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   UK or US model? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/82789-uk-us-model.html)

Fergus Anderson December 30th, 2006 11:25 AM

UK or US model?

Hi chaps

I would love an A1 but am not sure whther to go for the US or UK version (I live in the UK) I currently have an HV10 (which I love) but would love the 24f 30f and 60i ability of the US A1. I have heard that the A1 can also be upgraded to add 50i 25f support?

It just seems that the US version with 24f and 30F is more useful than the UK model with just 25f?

Are there any other drawbacks of importing a US model?

Any advice welcomed!
Cheers

Chris Hurd December 30th, 2006 12:59 PM

Why not get the UK model, which is supported by Canon UK warranty and service, and simply upgrade it to add the 60i frame rates. That's going to be easier and more economical than importing a US model and upgrading it to include the 50i frame rates.

Fergus Anderson December 30th, 2006 01:26 PM

Thanks Chris - I guess that would make more sense - I suppose I am more interested in the 24f and 30F modes so might not pay the £500 to upgrade the unit.

Isnt it cheaper to import a US unit with the exchange rate as it is?

Chris Hurd December 30th, 2006 03:32 PM

But you'll lose warranty, service and compatibility that way. "Cheaper" is usually the most expensive mistake you can make.

Fergus Anderson December 30th, 2006 04:30 PM

good points

well I actually saw the A1 in jessops today - so tempted...
Perhaps I should sell the HV10 and upgrade - any recomendations for the best place to buy an A1 in the UK?

Cheers

Chris Hurd December 30th, 2006 04:36 PM

We refer all "where to buy" inquiries to our trusted site sponsors. In the UK, it's Production Gear in Hertfordshire. Contact info can be found at http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors

Allan Liang December 30th, 2006 04:38 PM

Interesting. I live in Australia, and was thinking of buying the XH-A1 from America, since it would be cheaper ($4500AU as opposed to $6000AU if I get it over here). Is it worth paying the extra $1500 for warranty, service, etc?

Michael Bartolo December 30th, 2006 09:28 PM

For $1500 AU you could buy a plane ticket, drop the camera off at the USA service center and have a holiday and money left over! Maybe consider buying an Australian 3rd party warranty like Mack warranty offered in the USA. Maybe the third party warranty will cover your needs.

Kalunga Lima December 31st, 2006 05:20 AM

You may find that some that a US supplier will be willing to send the camera to the USA service center for you if you purchased the camera from them and paid the upgrade and shipping costs. Then you could pick it up when you knew for sure it is ready. I had a similar dilemma and had a word with one of this site's US sponsors and they said that it would be no problem to send it to the Service Center on my behalf (check them out in alphabetical order).

Having said this, my impression is that cost differences between buying int he USA, Europe and the Pacific region is significantly narrowing nce you calculate taxes, so you may want to consider the matter seriously before travelling halfway around the world to basically break even (time = money).

There is also a lot to be said for a good local representative, especially if you run a business and can not necessarily afford the ong down-time of sending your camera abroad for repairs, even if covered by an international warrenty.

best of luck in the new year

Jay Fisk January 2nd, 2007 04:46 PM

'UK' stamp on baseplate of US model?

In the process of registering my A1 and sorting through all the propaganda enclosed with it and noticed that there's a large "UK" stamped next to the SN on the baseplate. Is this just a random thing?

Camera is from a Canon USA dealer with all the correct papers for a US model, just curious as to the "UK" stamp.

Dick Graham January 2nd, 2007 05:01 PM

Mine is stamped the same as yours. I have no idea what, if anything, it means.

Chris Hurd January 2nd, 2007 05:27 PM

I've seen "UJ" as well. It's just part of the S/N. Does not refer to United Kingdom.