DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Better low light performance? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/83136-better-low-light-performance.html)

Ing Poh Hii January 5th, 2007 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Dyer
The truth is these cameras require more light than the older SD cameras. Good lighting, as well as great camera skills will benefit your results with these new cameras.

Yes, I support this one after comparing my A1 against PD150 in low light especially if you are videoing people. While A1 have lovely night time recording mode, that is what PD150 can't match.

Paul Leung January 5th, 2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ing Poh Hii
Yes, I support this one after comparing my A1 against PD150 in low light especially if you are videoing people. While A1 have lovely night time recording mode, that is what PD150 can't match.

Can you tell me more about this night time recording mode please? What does it do. Thanks.

Adam Reuter January 6th, 2007 10:27 PM

HD100 Increases Sensitivity in SD Mode

Paul, you're right about some HDV cameras having better sensitivity. The JVC HD 100 gains about 1 stop of light when in standard def. mode. I don't believe the XH A1 was engineered the same way.

The Sony VX2000 and PD150/170 cameras are definitely better in low light than the Canon. They make dark areas brighter than reality...which is what video needs. The Canon can definitely recreate reality, but it can't make it better like the Sonys can. If you want that type of performance, the Panasonic AJ-HDC27H or AJ-HDX900 (with a nice Canon lens, hehe) is right up your alley. ;-)

Ing Poh Hii January 8th, 2007 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Leung
Can you tell me more about this night time recording mode please? What does it do. Thanks.

Hi Paul, it is just one of the main "wheel dial option" on A1 (the moon symbol), and regarding it's function, Adam has a very nice comment, and for me, I like the close to reality yet very clean picture quality of this mode.

Refer to Adam:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Reuter
The Sony VX2000 and PD150/170 cameras are definitely better in low light than the Canon. They make dark areas brighter than reality...which is what video needs. The Canon can definitely recreate reality, but it can't make it better like the Sonys can. If you want that type of performance, the Panasonic AJ-HDC27H or AJ-HDX900 (with a nice Canon lens, hehe) is right up your alley. ;-)

Soeren Mueller January 8th, 2007 11:36 AM

Anyone here who used a DVX100 before and switched to the A1? The DVX isn't that great with low light in progressive mode but it was always totally ok for me... so I'm just curious if it'll be much "worse" with the A1 or about the same?! ;)