DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon A1 Sweet spot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/84156-canon-a1-sweet-spot.html)

Cody Lucido January 17th, 2007 03:35 PM

Canon A1 Sweet spot

Does anybody have any recommendations for the sweet spot with the A1 for how they set up exposures. I am just curious as too what people's experiences are.

A simple formula of settings you use for various situations would be very interesting to me. i.e. Landscape Daylight ND/5.2f/30f/1/320

Thanks in advance.

Cody

Bill Pryor January 17th, 2007 05:40 PM

That's what the in-camera metering is for. Those old Kodak poop sheets in the film boxes never were intended as any more than a general guide.

Daniel Browning January 17th, 2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Lucido
Does anybody have any recommendations for the sweet spot with the A1 for how they set up exposures.

What do you mean by "sweet spot"? Are you asking if the picture quality improves as you stop down the lens?

Cody Lucido January 18th, 2007 03:26 PM

I am just curious as to what other A1 users have discovered about this camera. When you shoot various things, do you find any oddities or unusal things that you would like to share.

Hans Ledel January 18th, 2007 04:16 PM

Hi

I´m sorry but I don´t understand.

You have bought a nice camera and you are asking what others have discovered!!??

Don´t you think it is better if you discover you own camera?

This is what I do when I bought a camera.

I go out to a nice place and put the cam on a tripod and shoot the same scen over and over again with different settings and for every scen I shoot I also say the settings I have made loud and clear right in the mic.

When I´m done I transfer the tape to my NLE and put all the takes on the timeline and hit play.

This way I can watch all my takes while I´m drinking coffe and I don´t have to think about looking in any paper or anything as to wich settings I have made becuse I listen to wich settings I´ve made.

This way you will learn wich settings YOU like.

Cheers

Hans

Rick Hensley January 18th, 2007 07:55 PM

I think Cody's asking people to share what they have learned is reasonable.
Isn't sharing what we have learned what this forum is about?

Cody, there are tips dispersed throughout this forum. I suggest you search around the forum a bit on topics such as gain, presets, etc.

I personally dont know the camera well enough yet to answer your question.

I think a "TIPS" sticky thread would be nice.

Cody Lucido January 19th, 2007 08:29 AM

Hans - For not understanding, you certainly have a lot to say.

I was more interested (and forgive me for not being clearer) if anybody had any 'Hints from Heloise' about the camera. I am shooting lots with it and will post some of the quirks I have discovered.

There are lots of threads, but none that I have found devoted to A1 quirks.

I will start a new thread once I have my list of Quirks further along.

Randy - I agree a sticky would be good once there is a list.

Cheers!

Hans Ledel January 19th, 2007 09:45 AM

Ahaa.... now I really understand :-)

I got the impression you just got the camera and wanted someone else to tell you wich settings you should use.

Cheers

Hans