DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Newbie A1 owner - no audio via xlr - Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/84344-newbie-a1-owner-no-audio-via-xlr-help.html)

Geoffrey Baker January 19th, 2007 06:51 PM

Newbie A1 owner - no audio via xlr - Help!

I have my brand new A1 here and seem to be having an issue with the audio. I'm sure it's due to me. I'm a total newbie so be kind.

Camera mic works fine.

I've connected a Rode NTG-2 shotgun to ch1 and no matter what I do I get no audio through it.

Line/mic is set to line.
Ch1/Ch2 is selected. Mic is going into xlr ch1.

ATT for both ch1 and 2 is set to off. (I tried setting it to on)

Phantom power for ch1 is on.

In the audio setup menu the input is xlr.

Er, um what toggle to I need to toggle to get the audio working here?

Thanks!

Geoffrey S. Baker

Dan Keaton January 19th, 2007 07:06 PM

I don't have an XH A1 manual handy.

I suggest you switch the line/mic to mic.

Geoffrey Baker January 19th, 2007 07:27 PM

I thought I tried that....just did it again and volia, it works. Thanks much. It won't be my last question!

GSB

Miguel Lombana January 19th, 2007 08:46 PM

That Rode uses a AA, why do you have Phantom turned on? Should be off.

Pete Bauer January 19th, 2007 08:56 PM

According to the online literature, that mic uses either AA batteries or Phantom. Shooter's choice.

Miguel Lombana January 19th, 2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
According to the online literature, that mic uses either AA batteries or Phantom. Shooter's choice.

Too quick to type, if there are AA batts in there, no need for Phantom, how's that :-)

Rik van der Kroon January 21st, 2007 04:18 AM

Would you guys advise Phantom power? Because I hear people it drains the batteries but others think it's a big pro!

For me I ordered the: PSC DV SGM1

Dan Keaton January 21st, 2007 06:55 AM

In general (Background information):

For some microphones, the specifications (performance) of the microphone differ depending on whether battery power or phantom power is used.

In general, microphones perform better when using proper phantom power.

Please note that not all equipment provides proper phantom power even though it is labeled as such.

For most professional microphones, the specification calls for 48 volts DC +-4 volts. Some phantom power supplies do not supply the full 48 volts, better quality or professional, equipment meets this specification.

Specific Information for the Rode NTG-2 Shotgun Microphone:

The only difference in specifications, according to Rode's published specifications concerns the output impedence:

Output impedance:
250 Ω - phantom power, 350 Ω - battery power

The full specifications are here:

http://www.rodemic.com/downloads/NTG-2_White_Paper.pdf

Recommendation:

With a high quality camera, such as the Canon XH A1, the phantom power supply will provide proper phantom power.

The Canon batteries, either the BP-950g or BP-970g provide a substantial amount of power. The phantom power option will not significately affect your camera's run time.

I would use the Camera's phantom power option.

Brad Tyrrell March 6th, 2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffrey Baker (Post 609640)
I've connected a Rode NTG-2 shotgun to ch1 and no matter what I do I get no audio through it.

Line/mic is set to line.

Uhmmm.... why do have the input set to Line if you're using a mic?

Don Deignan March 6th, 2007 04:09 PM

XLR Audio

Did you turn the Xlr inputs on in the camera menu? Do you have it on auto or manual to control the volume. I am having a problem with manual in that it is very low. Thank goodness the auto worked fine. I had a Sony mike on channel one and a wireless on channel 2. When you put the menu tp XLR on it will shut off the built in mike.

Don Deignan

Rchard Paas March 10th, 2007 04:21 AM

I attached the Audio Technica AT897, it works fine. I read in this topic you could turn the pantompower on in the menu? I can't find this in the menu.

Bill Busby March 10th, 2007 05:09 AM

No, the phantom power switches are on the front of the XLR housing.

Bill

Bill Busby March 10th, 2007 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Deignan (Post 637137)
I am having a problem with manual in that it is very low. Don Deignan

Don, surely you've noticed that the mic volume controls are actually backwards. I assume Canon's reasoning was users would use their thumb on the edge of the volume wheels & to change the level, they thought users would prefer "up" to raise volume & "down" to lower volume. Ridiculous design, but it's something we have to get used to & live with.

Bill

Rchard Paas March 11th, 2007 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 639233)
No, the phantom power switches are on the front of the XLR housing. Bill

Thank you for this info! so simple :D

Barry Richard March 11th, 2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 639235)
Don, surely you've noticed that the mic volume controls are actually backwards. I assume Canon's reasoning was users would use their thumb on the edge of the volume wheels & to change the level, they thought users would prefer "up" to raise volume & "down" to lower volume. Ridiculous design, but it's something we have to get used to & live with.

Bill

making the POTS backwards ??

OK.

Not marking a "0" and a "10" (so that there's a visual cue as to how things are working) ???

IDIOTIC !!