blue green discolored spot on new XH A1 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 6th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #1
New Boot

blue green discolored spot on new XH A1 footage

I looked around for this issue but couldn't find anything related.
I am super happy with my XH A1, only recently I noticed a strange blue spot on all the footage I was taking. It doesn't change if I zoom in or out at all. Its not very big, but it is fairly defined and shaped like a weird little blob. It resembles the physiological effect of looking into a light too long and then looking away and seeing a little discolored spot on your vision where the light used to be. This was my initial thought: is it possible the CCD was damaged by pointing the camera at a light? I don't remember ever leaving it pointed at a light for a long time. Has anyone heard of something like this happening and is there any way to fix it without service?
Thanks!
Jim George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Tourist

BLue discolored spot on xh a1

Hi Jim, I have the same issue with the camera regarding a blue discolored oval spot. the blue spot is in the right corner up. when a cameralight is put on it in a dark space it is almost gone.

http://www.vimeo.com/1093499

when shooting in natural light it appears and honestly ruins the shot. I cannot recall either pointing it at a light as i am fairly and extreme secure with this camera. It looks like 1 of RGB colors has been affected wchich results in this.

Let me know if you have a solution or if you had communication with Canon.

http://www.vimeo.com/1093499
Marc Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If the spot doesn't move, this would indicate dirt on the sensor, or on one of the internal components of the sensor. You can't get to these things yourself. You should contact Canon for service.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Bad news.... :-(

My A1 was replaced with DOA (Dead On Arrival) procedure in the far April 2007 for this blue spot. It seems to be a dust particle on the red chip (for this reason the spot is blue) and is visible in some light-focus-zoom condition.
I don't want to alert all the A1 owners, but I think that our camera is not absolutely sealed from dust. I attach a photo with the blue-spot on the right-center.
Attached Thumbnails
blue green discolored spot on new XH A1 footage-img_0111.jpg  
Antonio Ricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Jim,

It sounds like your sensor got a knock or two somewhere along the
way. Happened to me too. An expensive trip to the service center
without insurance.

Check the help I got via this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=pixels

Good luck with it.
Henrik Joensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders