DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Which camera should I get, the XL2 or XH A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/87240-camera-should-i-get-xl2-xh-a1.html)

Daniel Hollister September 30th, 2006 09:28 PM

A1 vs XL2?

Hey guys -

I feel rather dumb even asking this. I'm generally the one up-to-date on this stuff. But as I've been very busy in LA and happily using my XL2, I have been totally oblivious to these new releases.

So here's my thing. The specs of this look pretty compelling, and having used the H1 (but not being able to afford it) I am considering ditching my XL2 for the A1. I would like opinions from you guys on this topic.

Does this thing have filmic gamma similar to the XL2 and DVX? I hear the chips are all the same as in the H1, is there any reason to assume that the picture quality would be much worse? (Or at least worse than the image of the XL2?)

Chris Hurd September 30th, 2006 11:28 PM

No contest, in my opinion, the XH A1 would trump a stock XL2 even in standard definition recording. The only exception I can think of is an XL2 fitted with a Mini35 and motion picture glass... that would be tough to beat. But if you're talking straight out of the box, the advantage goes to the A1.

Daniel Hollister October 1st, 2006 02:07 AM

Thanks, Chris, I appreciate it, especially since I'm sure this was a redundant question. The specs and price looked great; on paper it easily looked better than the XL2, but often in practice, there's something I miss.

Mini35 is out of the question on my budget. I'd be an out-of-the-box guy for sure. The only "customization" i did with my XL2 was opt for the 16x manual lens. So I may in fact be holding out for this bad boy.

Jason Strongfield October 1st, 2006 11:04 AM

I sold my XL2 few weeks ago for the upcoming HD (A1 or V1). Yes the XL2 is great but I dont like the form factor.

With the A1 or V1, you can mount them on a steadicam Merlin and get a far better shot than the XL2 on the shoulder. XL2 would require a very expensive stabilizer.

With a lightweight tripod(cartoni focus + miller solo vj), a FF, MB and m35 would make the A1 or V1 look extremly professional.

Bob Zimmerman October 1st, 2006 12:28 PM

then again since you have one you might just wait a few weeks and see what the reviews are first. Then unload the XL2 or just keep it if you don't need the money.

Nick Weeks October 7th, 2006 09:33 AM

I look at it this way.... I was planning to purchase the XL2 with 20x lens for doing wedding videos and such, having sold my XL1s a few months back. Then this bad boy A1 got announced. At $500 more than the XL2 with the ability to do HD, same 20x lens, OIS, and now an iris ring on the lens (!) I was sold.

I'm now selling off the rest of my SD equipment to buy 2 of these A1s later this month. I'm doing it strictly for the HD, but I've heard that you can downconvert to SD and make a better picture than the XL2, so that may be a selling point for you.

Plus I agree with Jason on the stabilizer, much easier to find one for the smaller cameras that's affordable for the average consumer.....

Giles Buchanan January 16th, 2007 06:51 PM

XHA1 or XL2??

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, but it seems lots of you are well clued up on this and I need some help.

In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to buy a camera. I've narrowed it down to the XHA1 & the XL2. (AG DVX100 was a possibility, but I've now written it off)

I want to use the camera primarily for making films & shorts, but I also want to be able to shoot documentaries & weddings too.

Is the 25f (I'm in the UK tf PAL) as good as the XL2's 25p? I'll be honest, from what I've seen the XL2's 25p looks infinitely better, than the 25f on the A1, apart from one video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTPCy...elated&search=

Can I overcrank XHA1 footage, like in the XL2 (or has the XL2 footage I've seen been slowed in PP..?)

Does the A1 have equal, less or more of the features as the XL2 in terms of messing with the image & picture? (can't get a definite answer to this on the net. E.G. I've seen footage of DVX footage being manipulated in temperature from warm reds, to sort of Bourne Supremacy cold blues... Can I do this with the A1!!!???)

I just really need some advice with people who have had their hands on both cameras... I keep seeing videos which show incredible footage on both, and then bad footage on both and it's really confusing my decision making. I'm a student and am paying way more than I should be for this camera (my parents think I'm only spending £1000! Can't even afford good editing SW at the moment!) but, I'm pretty serious about my filming and I know what I want, and I need a camera which can help me achieve this, and it's going to be either the XL2 or the XHA1.

These are a couple of the videos of good footage of both (not helping my cause):

XHA1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTPCy...elated&search=

XL2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1btIs...elated&search=

I'd be grateful for any advice...

Regards,

Giles B

Chris Hurd January 16th, 2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giles Buchanan
Does the A1 have equal, less or more of the features as the XL2 in terms of messing with the image & picture?

Much, much more.

Kyle Prohaska January 16th, 2007 11:30 PM

A1:

1) 60i, 24f, 30f (same as progressive XL2 except how the frames are produced)
2) HD picture (sharp and gorgeous, screams HEY IM HD !!!)
3) More manual control than XL2 (including XL2's stuff + more)
4) No interchangable lens (I dont care for that)
5) Solid body for all around shooting (XL2 is NOT run and gun)
6) Lighter
7) Native 16:9
8) 1080 HD vs. 720x480 SD (1.2aspect)
9) LCD is bigger
10) $3500

XL2:

1) 60i, 24p, 30p
2) SD picture (awesome picture but its not HD)
3) awesome manual control
4) Interchangable lens (expensive however)
5) film camera form factor (unbalenced unless messed with)
6) heavy (arm fatigue unless you have a support for it)
7) Native 16:9
8) 720x480 SD (great picture however)
9) LCD is a pain to focus with and see with
10) $3200 or so (depends)

Ide say A1 for you, I just sold my XL2 to get the A1 for the reasons shown. You get an XL2 like camera, shuved into a GL2 type body, thats solid, native 16:9, more manual control than the XL2, a bigger LCD, and its HD. For cripes sake get the A1, the price is almost the same!

- Kyle

Anthony Leong January 17th, 2007 12:26 AM

For about the same price I'll take the Canon A1 over the Canon XL2.

Holly Rognan January 17th, 2007 01:39 AM

I was thinking that, since most of my stuff ends up in SD anyway, that I am actually considering an Xl2 as B-roll, for the A1 because they are so inexpensive currently and it looks more professional (for when clients need it).

Alex Leith January 17th, 2007 05:44 AM

Don't get an XL2. You'll be stuck with it as it will end up with little or no residual value.

Go for the A1 and don't look back!

Harm Millaard January 17th, 2007 06:29 AM

Imagine you go to your car dealer to look for a new car. He has two that you like, both never left the showroom and both in pristine condition. One is the latest model BMW 530, the other is a 5 year old model (but never used) BMW 320, now already succeeded by a newer model. Both have around the same price. What would you choose?

Giles Buchanan January 17th, 2007 09:07 AM

Cheers

Awesome... I'm sold!

Nice analogy on the last post too. Though I could add to it as I can't afford, a tripod let alone an editing program such as Premiere or Edius yet. They will have to come later.

Also, I read somthing about a good tripod in a book I've got and this guy was like, "you want to invest in a decent tripod, such as a Miller..." so I go on to the internet and look up Miller tripods......... £750! hahahah on your bike mate. That would be over a 1/3 of the cost of the camera. I just can't do that.

It seems the problem with investing in expensive high quality equipment is that everything else has got to be high quality and expensive too...

Oh well, still can't wait to order my A1 ;) Cheers for the advice all.

Regards, Giles

Bill Pryor January 17th, 2007 09:15 AM

You might look at Libec tripods. I believe they are a British company. I got the model 22, which was only about $400 (USD), and it's nicely matched to the XH A1.