Iris ring not working? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Iris ring not working?

Something seems to be up with the iris control ring on my camera. I've had my new cam for a few weeks, and only just today tried to use the manual settings. When in manual mode, I have no problem adjusting the shutter, but when I turn the iris ring, the aperture value just quickly switches back and forth between two similiar values, like f2.6 - 2.8. Sometimes it doesn't do anything, the f value just stays the same while I turn the iris ring to no avail. What could be going on here? Is there a setting I am missing, or is the camera broken?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ben Crosbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hm... my A1 doesn't behave like this. Iris just works as it should. I'd contact Canon or your dealer.
Jan Luethje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Is there a total reset button you can activate?
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know about a reset button, does anyone? I guess I will call canon and see what the issue is. I assume the camera came this way, becuase I have hardly used it so far, and have not damaged or dropped it in any way.

Everything else works fine, and I know the iris works when in auto or Tv mode, beucause I can see the exposure changing when moving between different levels of lighting. So I feel like it's either a firmware issue, or something is just not set correctly. I would imagine if it was defective, my dealer (B&H) or canon would replace it... I hope.
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Major Player

There's a reset function just above the speaker underneath the handle where the LCD nests when closed. You have to use a small paper clip or something similar. Not sure this will cure your iris problem though.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I found the reset button and used a pin to press it, but nothing happens. Is it supposed to be held down for a certain length of time, or when the camera is on, or off? I can't find anything in the manual about it.
Old March 11th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Major Player

There's a very tiny bit about it in the manual. In the pdf manual page 13 shows a graphic representation of all top view buttons/functions but the reset button is the only one that doesn't have a page reference associated with it, go figure.

And on page 152 midway down, there's a short description. It seems as though it just resets all setting to their factory default. I doubt this will fix your iris ring problem though.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

So no one else has experienced anything like this before? I will call canon tomorrow.
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Major Player

are you in M mode? green box mode? Which mode is your wheel set to?
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I am in M mode. Being in A priority mode has the same issue as well.
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Sounds like a definite problem, Ben -- the closest Canon service center to you is in Jamesburg, New Jersey. Should be a simple warranty repair item.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yup, looks like it is definitely defective. I'll have to call canon tech support today, but they will probably say I need to send it in for repairs. Bummer.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Just as a quick update to anyone else who might have this problem - I called canon and this issue does require repair at their service center.
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #14
Major Player

I also got my new Canon A1 with this same problem. Exactly the same iris range problem. This is my second Canon A1. The first camera is from December and that one still working fine. Now since the 2nd camera is brand new, the dealer is going to replace the camera with no shipping charges.This is an issue that I already talked with the canon people and they are aware of it.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #15
Regular Crew

My first A1 had problems with the focus and zoom rings. I returned it and now my second one is having problems, nothing that is constantly malfunctioning but enough to be really annoying. Maybe the lens servo isn't designed very well or something...
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders