DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   projecting HDV onto a big screen for an event? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/88870-projecting-hdv-onto-big-screen-event.html)

Jeff Nelson March 13th, 2007 06:35 PM

projecting HDV onto a big screen for an event?

I'm finishing up a documentary I shot with the A-1 which will be screened before five or six hundred people at an event next month. Anyone know anything about projecting this format? I imagine there are (very expensive to rent) hdv projectors, which are perfect if you're doing a gig where Steve Jobs is paying the costs. Would I put this back out onto HDV to project from there? (From the camera??) It's shot in 24f. Project from a disc? Put into sheer or another codec and output into an HD tape format?

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

Barlow Elton March 13th, 2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Nelson (Post 641227)
I'm finishing up a documentary I shot with the A-1 which will be screened before five or six hundred people at an event next month. Anyone know anything about projecting this format? I imagine there are (very expensive to rent) hdv projectors, which are perfect if you're doing a gig where Steve Jobs is paying the costs. Would I put this back out onto HDV to project from there? (From the camera??) It's shot in 24f. Project from a disc? Put into sheer or another codec and output into an HD tape format?

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

I'd say the easiest thing to do would be to output 24F back to tape via FCP and playback from the XH-A1 at the event. Make sure that the projector is compatible with 1080i signals (from the camera's component analog output) and you'll be good to go. :) You'll need to route the audio from the camera's AV RCA cable output to your PA system.

Jeff Nelson March 13th, 2007 06:41 PM

That was quick! Thanks, Barlow.

So it's putting out a 1080i signal, it's basically interlacing the 24f picture when it goes out via component analog out? Is that right? Is it more desirable (or even possible) to output it in the F mode and not interlace?

Daniel Browning March 13th, 2007 08:53 PM

High-definition projectors

1080 projectors cost $6,000 for a nice 700-lumen unit. If you can make the projection room totally dark, that would be the best option. If not, there are 2500-lumen 720p projectors for just $900 (like the ViewSonic PJ658). The XH A1 will use reverse pull down to convert your 24p to 60i before sending it out over component, so I think playing from a computer would be better.

Jeff Nelson March 13th, 2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Browning (Post 641298)
The XH A1 will use reverse pull down to convert your 24p to 60i before sending it out over component, so I think playing from a computer would be better.

So put it onto a laptop and play from there, for best quality, you're saying?

It's going to be in a big room where there may be waiters moving around, etc., and so I don't know that they can get it totally dark. Do I need to convert to 720p in order to project with the ViewSonic? How big a screen can you fill with that? Thanks.

Daniel Browning March 13th, 2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Nelson (Post 641305)
So put it onto a laptop and play from there, for best quality, you're saying?

Yes, just to be safe. 24F playback on component would probably be fine, but if the projector can do progressive, it would be nice to take advantage of that.

Quote:

Do I need to convert to 720p in order to project with the ViewSonic?

If you want the highest quality: yes.

The projector will resize a 1080 source to 720 for display (if you give it a component). If you use the laptop, whatever display software you use will also resize the video. However, the algorithms they use for resizing will not look quite as nice as if you resize in post. (You can use a slower, better algorithm, theirs has to be real time.)

Quote:

It's going to be in a big room where there may be waiters moving around, etc., and so I don't know that they can get it totally dark. How big a screen can you fill with that? Thanks.

The size will depend on the room brightness and your screen. (Highly reflective screens make the picture brighter, but are generally less color acurate and reduce the viewing angle.)

Try out the Projection Calculator at http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

We use the ViewSonic to fill a 150 inch screen at church. The ambient light is bright, but the screen is still easy to see. 2500 lumens is enough for a lot of applications.

Jeff Nelson March 13th, 2007 10:23 PM

Thanks, Daniel. How does the 16x9 format issue figure here?

Barlow Elton March 13th, 2007 10:26 PM

Jeff,

I wouldn't worry about it. Most current HD projectors (720 or 1080) will accept a 1080i source, and many if not most have 3:2 pulldown extraction capabilities. Heck, my nearly 4 year old Sony HS-20 720p LCD does a perfect job with 24F 1080i via component analog input.

No interlacing judder at all.

If you're going to rent the projector I would take the camera with your 24F edit and plug into it to test it.

Jeff Nelson March 13th, 2007 10:28 PM

Thank, Barlow. Definitely will test this setup plenty beforehand.

Daniel Browning March 13th, 2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Nelson (Post 641337)
Thanks, Daniel. How does the 16x9 format issue figure here?

The projector emits a 16:9 image, so it would be nice to get a screen that matches. (And one with a black border to enhance perceived contrast.)