DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Tapes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/89281-tapes.html)

Jonathan Gentry March 18th, 2007 08:22 PM

Tapes

I have a general question that involves the Canon A1 but other cameras as well.

I had a DVX100a and upgraded to the A1. I am going to sell the DVX and so my question is about tapes from that camera. I remember the DVX tapes were referred to as "wet." I assume the A1 tapes are not?

If this is the case will I be able to read the DVX tapes with the A1 if I need to capture the footage back into my computer? Next, I have about 10 DVX tapes left over and I am wondering if I can use those Panasonic tapes (the Master series tape) in my A1.

Last if I can't use those tapes in the A1 what tapes are recommended? I am not looking to buy the most expensive tape unless it's really necessary, but I do want to follow Canons recommendations.

Thanks for the help!

-Jonathan

Kevin Dorsey March 18th, 2007 08:50 PM

If by "DVX tapes" you're referring to Panasonic tapes, they are actually considered dry lube, and they will work fine in the A1. The general consensus is to pick one brand of tape and stick with it. So if you plan on capturing some old DV footage that was shot on Panasonic tapes, then it might be wise to use that type of tape with your A1. I have been using Sony tapes with my DVX and my A1 without issue.

Dan Wilder March 18th, 2007 09:17 PM

I'm making the transition from the DVX to the A1 as well. I have over a case of Panasonic MQ tapes the I fully intend to keep using. As Kevin said, there should be no problem although I can't speak from any long term experience yet.

As for reading your DVX tapes, I just tried a couple and they played fine in the A1.

-Dan

Jonathan Gentry March 18th, 2007 09:53 PM

OK maybe I got it backwards (dry vs. wet.) And yes I mean the Panasonic Master tapes that they had recommended.

Are all tapes considered dry tapes? Sony and Panasonic Master tapes?

Scott Cantrell March 19th, 2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Gentry (Post 643974)
Are all tapes considered dry tapes? Sony and Panasonic Master tapes?

Panasonic is considered a dry tape.
Sony is considered a wet tape.
You DO NOT want to mix the two in your XHA1.
If you have been using Panasonic AYDVM63MQ (or 83MQ) Master Quality cassettes in your DVX100, you can also use these in your XHA1 when recording in standard def mode. I do not recommend you to use the 83MQ's if you are recording in HDV as the tape is thinner than the 63MQ and thereby will create a higher chance of drop-out or artifacting.

If you are recording in HDV on your XHA1, I recommend you to use Panasonic's AYDVM63AMQ Advanced Master Quality cassette.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
866-827-3489
scott@tapeworkstexas.com

Robert Garvey March 19th, 2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell (Post 644405)
...Sony is considered a wet tape.
You DO NOT want to mix the two in your XHA1.
If you are recording in HDV on your XHA1, I recommend you to use Panasonic's AYDVM63AMQ Advanced Master Quality cassette.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
866-827-3489
scott@tapeworkstexas.com

Hi Scott, My A1 is new, I have only run 4 Sony HDV DVM63HD tapes through it. Is it too late to change? Should I run a cleaner first?

So the above Sony tape is wet?

I must say I was moved by the Sony description (see quote below) though I don't know what it means!! Obviously always worth employing a good copywriter.

Quote:(... The new DVM63HD Mini DV cassette features AME-II Evaporation Media Technology with high density and high performance Hyper Evaticle IV Magnetic Particles, resulting in enhanced picture clarity with superior image quality. This new Mini DV cassette also realises more stable tape running and playback performance and is excellent for long-term storage. It is highly recommended for use as master tape for editing and HD video recording.)

Bill Pryor March 20th, 2007 09:22 AM

If you read the hype on Panasonic's AMQ tapes, it is similar to Sony's.
I used Sony DVCAM tapes for years with no trouble and still use them with the DSR500. For the Canon XH A1, as Scott recommends, I'm using Panasonic's AMQ (Advance Master Quality) and have not seen a dropout yet. If you want to switch to the Panasonic from the Sony, simply use a head cleaning tape first. Be sure to follow the directions and don't run it for any longer than stated, usually it's 10 seconds or less.

William Boehm March 20th, 2007 09:52 AM

the sony master tape IS NOT A WET TAPE! I have contacted the georgia manufacturing facilility and spoke to a technical superviser at quite length. Their higher quality tapes are manufactured in Japan. I use strictly panansonic over the years (GL1), and now the pan. amq for the xh a1. only rarely in those years did i ever have a dropout in the pq series (older version of tapes)...and never cleaned the heads in five years videoing marine mammals in glacier bay to mountain biking trips in bc. dirt seemed to cause the problem and i blew out the transport system carefully with cannister air. i am more savvy now with tape cleaning, but i wrap the tranport door with electrical tape to keep out dust and moisture. just returned from vancouver island photographing the juan de fuca trail, and the camera functioned flawlesly in very wet weather.

the higher grade tapes of canon, sony and panasonic are dry tapes with slight variants in lubricant per sony tech. bill

Don Palomaki March 20th, 2007 04:03 PM

So has anyone had consistent oir repeated problems with specific make/model tape in the A1 and if so, which?

Anyone have success using standard MiniDV tapes, e.g., Pana AY-DVM60EJ?

George Heredia March 20th, 2007 06:02 PM

What is the difference from the Sony DVM60 to the Sony DVM63 HDV tapes? I'm told they both capture HDV, yet only the DVM63 is actually labeled as such.

Is this just a marketing ploy?

The DVM63's are much more expensive.

Any thoughts???

Vaughan Wood March 20th, 2007 10:49 PM

I have been using the Sony DVM 60Pro tapes for about two years after having dropout problems with Panasonic DVM63PQ's at one stage with two VX2000's.

I don't think I've EVER had a dropout with them, and I've been shooting HDV for 6 months now, (we use the tapes about 5 times each).

Cheers Vaughan

Paul Cronin March 23rd, 2007 06:49 AM

Having just purchased a Canon A1 and Canon HV-20 I checked with Canon to see if my Sony tapes would work. I hope this helps.

My Question to Canon:
I have 100 tapes left over from my Sony
camera and wondered if they are OK to use in the Canon Cameras? The
tapes are the Sony Digital Master PHDVM-63DM. High quality HDV tapes.

Canon Response:
If your Sony Z1 used tapes marked with the miniDV icon, then they may be used with the XH-A1 camcorder. I am not familiar with this specific
type of tape, but when I checked online it would seem that these would
be compatible. Since you have such an abundance of these tapes using
them will not be an issue. I would recommend however, that if you
switch from these tapes to a different kind that you clean the heads
with a dry tape head cleaner.

Tom Van Dyke March 23rd, 2007 10:49 PM

Canon XH A1 HDV tapes

One of the last minute emergencies I had when putting the Canon Xh A1 into service was using a regular DV tape and not being able to record in HDV, as far as I remember.

So, we ordered the Canon tape recommended and have been very happy so far.

But a friend says I'm nuts to pay $20 for Canon HDV tape. He says he pays about $2.50 for DV tape. I can re-do this experiment and buy a regular DV tape tomorrow but wondering if you all can help out with this.

I did read about the Panasonic AYDVM63AMQ tape which sells for about $8-9.

Canon XH manual says "DV" tape will work in the camera but I'll be danged if I dont' remember being unable to record in HDV with the cheap tape.

Bill Pryor March 23rd, 2007 11:09 PM

I've been using the AMQ Panasonics with no problem at all.

Don Palomaki March 24th, 2007 07:23 AM

Using the AMQ for HDV or SD or both?