DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Shutter speed question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/93649-shutter-speed-question.html)

Mike Banks May 9th, 2007 04:09 PM

Shutter speed question

If I'm shooting 25F on the A1 am I right in thinking that a shutter speed of 25 and above will produce good results in say interview situations? I tend to shoot in low light but would rather keep the gain down.

Thanks!

Mike

Steve Yager May 9th, 2007 08:58 PM

Shoot at 1/50, this will produce the most natural motion. If you absolutely have to, shoot 1/25, but be prepared for strobing. Generally the rule is to double the FPS, and that's your shutter. For example-24f-1/48, 25f-1/50, 30f-1/60, 60i-1/120

Stefan Scherperel May 10th, 2007 12:23 AM

actually, not to step on anyones toes here, but just wanted to chime in and say that if you shoot at 1/25th sec shutter speed it will not increase strobing but it will blur your image more. now if you are shooting static interviews this won't be too much of a problem but with moving images you will have a very soft picture.
Also when shooting 60i the standard shutter speed is 1/60th of a second, not 1/120th, just thought I would throw that out there.

Kiflom Bahta May 10th, 2007 03:26 AM

I go up to 1/30 with 30f and still looks good. Do you have to shoot 60i

Richard Hunter May 10th, 2007 06:54 PM

Hi Mike. Definitely shoot 1/50s on 25F. As Stefan says, you could also use 1/25s for the low light conditions but there will be more motion blur (if there is motion of course).

Richard

Mark Rook May 11th, 2007 03:34 AM

I sometimes shoot at air shows, and noticed that on my XM2, on auto, it would look as if the props on the planes were standing still. Was this due to using a high shutter speed. Now that I've got the XHA1, would it be better to use the 25F setting over the 50i for air shows. Another thing is, would it be better to use a seperate filter rather than the built in ND to help keep the shutter speed so slow, if so could anyone recommend a good one.

Sorry for butting in, and for all the questions...

Mark

Mike Banks May 11th, 2007 02:49 PM

Many thanks for the help here. In many situations I take lights but frequently it's not possible so have to shoot in quite low light so thought that rather than raise the noise I could try to reduce the shutter speed. I've found the noise to be a bit of an issue though have started to fiddle with the noise reduction settings and seem to have got reasonable results after a lot of tweaking.

Cheers!

Mike

Richard Hunter May 11th, 2007 07:14 PM

Hi Mike. You can also raise the coring value to reduce the noise. Actually you should search on this forum and on the XL2 forum for a lot of detailed discussion on getting the best low light performance from Canon cameras.

Richard