DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Problem Please help. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/94347-problem-please-help.html)

Gary J. Walker May 18th, 2007 08:19 AM

Problem Please help.

I have two A-1's I've shot five weddings with them over the past two months. The second cam is a rear static shot. After reviewing the footage on that camera I've noticed (about 20 min into the footage) their is a time code break for three seconds, the video looks as if you paused the cameras recording and then started it back up a second later, no tape fallout or anything, I've had this happen twice now, (A big headache when your out of sync after that point)..I'm shooting in the HDV mode with Panasonic M63MQ tapes. Anyone with this problem...Gary

Chris Hurd May 18th, 2007 08:41 AM

Actually it sounds like a tape glitch or dropout. Since HDV uses a 15-frame Group Of Pictures, a single hit will wipe out half a second... two in quick succession will take out 30 frames, or a full second.

You might consider using a direct-to-edit recording solution such as the FireStore FS-C, it gives you dual recording (simultaneous to tape, for archive / backup, and to disk, for edit-ready ingest without capture and long recording times).

Eric Weiss May 18th, 2007 09:15 AM

yes, that's drop out. timecode across all dv can be a wicked bitch.
i actually carry a flash and set it off at calculated times during multicam shoots as reference points in case of dropout.

Steven Dempsey May 18th, 2007 09:56 AM

Gary, I use the same tapes as you and have also experienced this problem. Out of about 40 hours of footage I'd say it happened about 3 or 4 times.

Gary J. Walker May 18th, 2007 10:24 AM

Thanks guys, Steve, do you think it's the camera or tape, (i've used Sony excellence tape for my old school GL-1's for eight yrs and never had this problem). This morning I've recorded two one hr tests, no problems. So just live with it, (don't want to), switch tapes to sony, or is it in the camera...Gary, Thanks again for help..

Steven Dempsey May 18th, 2007 10:30 AM

Haven't a clue, Gary. I hate to switch tapes at this point. If it becomes a big issue, I might consider going direct to a firestore solution. So far, though, it hasn't been a big problem.

Gary J. Walker May 18th, 2007 10:40 AM

Steve,I feel a little better....if it's more on the tape side and not the camera. would a tape head cleaner help, or has anyone had this problem with Pana, and then switched to Sony to solve???...

Steven Dempsey May 18th, 2007 10:43 AM

There's probably a million reasons why something like this could happen, dust, etc. It's just really hard to know. I've used these Panasonic tapes for about 5 years and have had minimal problems with them. I've definitely encountered the odd dropout on my DVX but it never became a big problem.

If it continues, I would switch tape brands as a first course of action. If it continues with the new tapes, have it looked at by Canon. If you still can't get anything resolved at that point, I would look into getting a firestore.

As a last resort, I would run around the altar six times backwards at midnight during a blue moon.

Gary J. Walker May 18th, 2007 10:48 AM

I always do the runaround first, which usually fixes everything..especially being a Catholic altar boy in the early 60's...After only 5 hrs on the pana tapes, if you were me would you consider a switch to Sony at this point..Gary

Steven Dempsey May 18th, 2007 10:49 AM

No, I'd stick to the Panasonic, there maybe bigger repercussions switching tape brands.

Eric Weiss May 18th, 2007 11:01 AM

oddly, i've only expereinced dropout on sony hdv tapes.
premium and excellence have been fine.

Gary J. Walker May 18th, 2007 11:16 AM

My last thought, is that since I own two cameras bought at the same time (B&H) and only one of the cameras is showing this problem, is it leaning towards the camera (or to early to tell)...if so is a replacement camera possible... what do you thind B&H would say..Gary

Steven Dempsey May 18th, 2007 11:18 AM

The question is still the same. It may be the tape you are using. If it's a bad tape, the problem is not going to show up in your other camera. I don't think B&H is going to replace the camera, I think they'll recommend you have a Canon service technician look at it.

You might want to have a chat with a Canon rep if you need more peace of mind.

Eric Weiss May 18th, 2007 11:52 AM

if you did two 60 min tests with no error, it's not the cam.
further, i dont think its even the brand.. it was probably just THAT tape
or something related to that tape at the time...such as condensation or dust upon tape change.

Steven Dempsey May 18th, 2007 11:53 AM

Yeah, I agree...