DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Soccer Match Help!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/95470-soccer-match-help.html)

Matthew Amirkhani May 31st, 2007 09:44 AM

Soccer Match Help!!

Hi Guys,

I have to cover a soccer match next week and need your help with the preset and shutter speed.

Should I film it in 60i?

Thanks All.
Matthew

Steve Yager May 31st, 2007 11:37 AM

Depends on the feel you want. Do you want a cinematic feel or a sports program feel? Decide, then use the appropriate frame rate.

Steven Davis May 31st, 2007 11:59 AM

I would try and practice shooting at one of thier soccer practices.

Harold Schreiber May 31st, 2007 03:46 PM

Hi Matthew,

If you have not done Soccer before, then please take Steve and Steven's advice.

When I did an entire season. I shot it from the Press Box, and used a 13" CRT Monitor to be able to see the ball. Also used my custom made telescopic control handle along with a 2-speed wired remote. Once set up, never touched or looked at the Cam, except to change tapes.

Harold

Peter Dunphy March 13th, 2009 04:10 AM

Hi guys

I have a school soccer event to film soon and would appreciate any tips on XH-A1 settings. I just want a slick, clean 'feel' to the images, much like a live soccer match on television.

I'll have a Libec 38 Tripod and Merlin Steadicam with me. I would like to get a good variety of angles for use in a video...but am conscious that if I move the camera to change position, I might miss a goal!

So far I've been used to 'TV' mode in combination with exposure lock as I find this the easiest to work with.

The weather forecast for the afternoon I'm filming is: Sunny Intervals but mostly cloudy.

Unfortunately I'm unable to practice filming a live sports event with my XHA1 before then (although I have filmed some in the past on other camcorders), so any 'failsafe' settings such as typical shutter speed would be really appreciated.

All the best

Howard Churgin March 13th, 2009 04:46 AM

Although I have not shot soccer, I shoot Horseback riding and Jumping. I use TV mode, minimum of 100 shutter speed when indoors, outdoors try for even faster 150 or better (soccer should be similar, I don't think players run faster than a horse canters). If your outdoors in fairly good light you should be able to get a little faster than that. Dont let your aperture get too small, increase the shutter speed if you need to, use the ND filter if you have to to get a good combo of shutter speed and aperture. Shoot in 60i for smoothness and more editing possibilties later. (ie, good slo mo effects) Keep AGC off and do a simple custom white balance. Outdoors I find the auto WB pretty good anyway. With the settings mentioned above I get very good results for the horseback riding and jumping. The hardest part will be determined by where you are filming from. If you are parallel to the action all the time you have to watch for the fast pans and motion artifacts from keeping up. Maybe you should think about being a little more at an angle to the action rather than the typical television shot from center field.

Ian Wright March 13th, 2009 06:36 AM

watch out for rapid and dramatic changes in light levels as the clouds whiz by.

You could get some friends to kick a ball around at your local park to get some practice.

Good Luck!
Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

Peter Dunphy March 13th, 2009 05:02 PM

Thanks Howard and Ian, great advice! Will post again in this thread with how I get on next week. Have a great weekend!

Michael Ojjeh March 13th, 2009 08:05 PM

I would shoot in 60I and 150-200 shutter speed, -3db, ND filter on.
60i will look good for any slow mo replay.

Peter Dunphy March 15th, 2009 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh (Post 1027375)
I would shoot in 60I and 150-200 shutter speed, -3db, ND filter on.
60i will look good for any slow mo replay.

Great thanks Michael.