DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   need recommentation on a cheap shotgun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/99796-need-recommentation-cheap-shotgun.html)

Juni Zhao July 25th, 2007 06:22 PM

need recommentation on a cheap shotgun

I found some threads about directional mics, but all above $1000. I am going to do a season shoot from next month that will be podcasted so the sound quality doesn't really matter since the audio will be compressed that much. But I need the that mic to have directional capability, XLR, and fit on A1. Can someone recommend a cheap shotgun in 200-300 dollar range but still do acceptable job for podcast? Thanks a lot.....

Bill Pryor July 25th, 2007 06:35 PM

I think Rode makes a cheap one. There may be an AT that's fairly cheap but I don't think they get that low in price.

Luke Ross July 25th, 2007 06:40 PM

If you are looking for something for a podcast, even the Rode Videomic would work. I ran into a classified here on DvInfo and a guy is selling his Videomic for $115 with the Deadcat windmuff, and that would work well with the A1 and its about $60 off retail price. Otherwise, if you are looking for something for a boom pole, a Rode NTG1/2 would work good.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...light=Videomic

Hope this helps.
Luke

Don Palomaki July 26th, 2007 08:12 AM

In the under $300 category, consider, in no particular order:

Rode NGT-1 or NGT-2
Audio-Technica AT-875R
Audio-Technica AT-897
Rode Video Mic (uses the MIC input jack)
Sennheiser MKE300 (maybe, uses the mic input jack)

For pod-cast quality you could go cheaper as well, but no point in buying a mic you wouldn't want to use for somewhat more demanding work. Generally good to avoid mics with impedances higher than ~600 ohms. If yo run into something you are considering, feel free to ask for opinions before you buy.

Juni Zhao July 26th, 2007 07:07 PM

thanks Don, I think these 2 fit my need:
Rode NGT-1 or NGT-2
Audio-Technica AT-875R

Audio-Technica is cheeper, I am not sure if it's more cost effective than the Rode?

Don Palomaki July 27th, 2007 06:33 AM

The AT-897 is fairly popular and well thought of.

Have not read anything about the AT-875R, sounds like a new model (to the US anyway) but with more limited features and capability to meet a lower price point and perhaps compete with some of the offerings from Azden. It may have been more focused to the Asian market per a post in the Now Hear This forum.

Mark Fry July 27th, 2007 07:21 AM

I have experience of the Sennheiser MKE-300, Rode VideoMic and NTG-1.

The NTG-1 (phantom powered only) or NTG-2 (option for AA battery power) gets my vote, but beware of wind-protection if you are working outside. A Rycote Softie, or similar is good in light winds, but above that you'll need a second layer of fur or a zepplin or something of the sort. I use the NTG-1 in a Bayer EA-86 shock mount, with a Rycote Softie and a second layer of furry material. This has been working well for a few months, whether on auto or manual.

The Rode VideoMic sounds almost the same as the NTGs, but has a plastic body not metal, and unbalanced 3.5 mm jack output not balanced XLR. The output is quite "hot" (compared to the MKE300, for example), which is not a problem if you are using the manual level controls, but can cause problems with the auto level. It also has a built-in shock mount, which seems like a good idea but doesn't work as well as (I think) it should. The mic rocks from side to side too much causing the suspending elastic bands to creak quite loudly. Note that Rode's "dead cat" is not good enough by itself except in virtually still conditions.

The Sennheiser MKE300 doesn't suffer from wind noise problems to anything like the same extent as the two Rode models. This may be partly due to its design but mostly to its less-good low-frequency response. However, it will pick up motor hum if mounted directly in a hotshoe slot. I used an MKE300 in the EA86 mount on my old XM1 for many years, and still use it on the XH-A1 on occassions.

If you have not already done so, search the Now Hear This forum, where there's lots of good advice...

David Warren July 28th, 2007 02:36 AM

i use the AT897 for pretty much everything.. i have much more expensive mics but i find it great for running and gunning... very versatile.. good for the money.
though my windscreen costs almost as much as the microphone does lol

Brian Findlay July 29th, 2007 12:12 PM

Sennheiser K6/ME66

You can find these things used on ebay going in the range of $300 sometimes. Great mic for the money. You may have to be patient for a week or two, but you can get them in that range. Normal retail is about $500.