DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Old film effect/updates (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/100675-xl2-old-film-effect-updates.html)

Ran Reed August 6th, 2007 10:36 AM

XL2 Old film effect/updates

Hi everybody!
I was reading on watchdog that canon removed the film grain effect from the xl2. My Xl1 is on it's last leg so I am getting ready to buy one... today hopefully. That makes me wonder if they made other changes as well? How do I order one and know which version I am getting. I don't care about the film grain effect but is there anything else updated that I should care about?
Thanks for any info. Love the site!!!!

Richard Alvarez August 6th, 2007 10:52 AM

Ran,

As far as I know, the elimination of the 'grain' button is the only change made to the XL2 since it's inception. At this point, I doubt there are old stock sitting on people's shelves with the grain effect still on the camera. Not that there would be anything wrong with getting it, but I doubt there are any out there left on the shelves.

For the record, I have an early 'grain' XL2. Never use the button, the effect is pretty bad.

Greg Boston August 6th, 2007 10:53 AM

Ran,

The film grain button was removed within six months of the XL2's introduction. Both of mine had the button and I saw little, if any difference with it on. I never used it.

Any new XL2 you purchase today would not have that function. I would also like to encourage you to purchase from one of our site sponsors. They are fair in pricing, and will help you after the sale. But most of all, they keep this site available for you to utilize. Should you go this route (and I hope you do), be sure to thank them for sponsoring the site.

regards,

-gb-

Ran Reed August 6th, 2007 11:01 AM

I appreciate the quick responses! When ordering online, there's always that fear that I may get old stock items. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I WILL look at the sponser's websites, sorry still new here!
Thanks a million!!!

Greg Boston August 6th, 2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ran Reed (Post 724270)
I appreciate the quick responses! When ordering online, there's always that fear that I may get old stock items. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I WILL look at the sponser's websites, sorry still new here!
Thanks a million!!!

Not a problem. Chris Hurd, the site owner, will only allow reputable advertisers for this site based on a track record of customer service excellence. You may notice also that we have less banner ads than other sites to keep down on clutter. That makes it even more important to utilize the sponsors we do have.

I bought my first XL2 from ZGC, along with other items like TA-100 tripod plate (a must have accessory imho), and the Century Optics wide angle lens adapter. They are very pleasant to deal with.

Scott Cantrell at Tapworks Texas is also a good guy to work with. I'm not sure if they have the XL2 but I'm certain they're carrying the newer hi-def XL and XH cameras.

Welcome to the site and please read or re-read the posting guidelines. You'll find this to be a breath of fresh air on the internet as we don't allow flames, politics, sex, religion, platform wars, equipment or manufacturer bashing, etc.

-gb-

Ran Reed August 6th, 2007 11:02 PM

Thanks agan for the help/advice. I didn't know that B&H was a sponser. They actually had the camera for $300 less than Wolf (and no, that's is on top of the current rebate!) Thanks for saving me some money! Of course, since I saved a few bucks, I HAD to order some other toys to go with!

Bill Westbury August 9th, 2007 07:01 AM

I buy from B&H when I know exactly what I want, but if I have questions or need some "personalized" service, I go with Brian at Zotz. I bought my XL2 and most accessories from him. Great service. Highly recommend.

Bill