DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Some Fall Stills (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/105263-some-fall-stills.html)

Ryan Mueller October 8th, 2007 09:02 PM

Some Fall Stills

8 Attachment(s)
This is the first time I've posted any of my work so let me know what you all think. All of them were shot with my XL2 with a preset I designed for the fall colors. None of the pics have been modified (raw footage).

Trond Saetre October 9th, 2007 12:31 AM

Ryan, that's great photos.
Thanks for sharing the colors of the fall.

Greg Boston October 9th, 2007 12:45 AM

Beautiful. I'm missing my XL2 cameras just from looking at those frame grabs. If it ever decides to cool off down here in Dallas, I'll be looking to grab some fall video myself.

Just curious. What did you do in order to tailor the imagery for the fall colors?

-gb-

Mat Thompson October 9th, 2007 06:23 AM

Some great colours....nice stuff! I'd be interested in details about your preset too :-) !?

Mark Williams October 9th, 2007 06:48 AM

Nice pics. You have a good eye for composition.

Mark Bournes October 9th, 2007 07:01 AM

Living in Florida, I really miss Fall. We have 1 season, Summer.

Nice frame grabs, I love my XL-2.

Ryan Mueller October 9th, 2007 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My main adjustments involved slightly boosting the color gain, setting the color phase slightly towards the red side, and bumping up the red gain by one notch. I also dropped the master ped and setup by 3 while increasing the sharpness by 4 notches. This preset also works well for other outdoor applications as well, just try to avoid really saturated reds. Here is the preset (blue barn file is attatched also).

Preset Name = Fall
Gamma = Cine
Knee = Low
Black = Press
NR = Off
VDetail = Low
Color Matrix = Cine
Color Gain = 1
Color Phase = 1
Red = 1
Green = 0
Blue = 0
SetupLevel = -3
Sharpness = 4
Coring = 0
MasterPed = -3

BTW, thanks for all of the replys. My website should be up soon and I'll probably have some vids uploaded soon.

Ryan

Dale Stoltzfus October 9th, 2007 08:21 AM

Ryan,

Excellent work! Those stills are really great - I especially like the first one with the barbed wire. I agree with the others - excellent composition.

I just purchased an XL2 myself. Haven't been able to take it out and really break it in yet, but I can't wait!

Just curious, though, do you usually prefer to get your "look" in camera with presets or in post with CC? Based on this thread I would assume you prefer to set color in cam.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Ryan Mueller October 9th, 2007 08:27 AM

Hey Dale,

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I try to get the images to my desired look in camera as much as possible. I have tried adjusting in post and most of the time I can get it to look the way I want, but sometimes it takes quite a bit of tinkering, and sometimes it still doesn't come out just right. I'd rather spend the extra time in testing different preset setups.

Jonathan Kirsch October 9th, 2007 10:45 AM

Hey Ryan,

Great shots/compositions. And thanks for posting the preset. Just wondering, though, what FPS were you shooting? 24? 60?

Jonathan

Ryan Mueller October 9th, 2007 11:22 AM

I was shooting 24P at a fixed shutter speed of 1/48, adjusting the iris for proper exposure. I also used the camera's pre-calculated daylight white balance setting, believe it or not. It actually gave a little warmer appearance than a manual white balance. I tried a warm balance as well, but it was a little too warm.

Jonathan Kirsch October 9th, 2007 03:43 PM

Thanks for the reply, Ryan.

Jonathan

Michele Coser October 10th, 2007 03:30 AM

Nice pictures and wonderful colors!

Jeff Anselmo October 10th, 2007 10:53 AM

Nice looking pics Ryan, and thanks for letting us know about your preset!

We'll be going up to Utah (Blanding, Monticello, La Sal areas) and will be filming the fall colors up there. (Hope the fall colors stay "fallish" when we get there :) I hope to try out your preset.

Thanks again,

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com

Ryan Mueller October 10th, 2007 04:52 PM

Thanks Michele and Jeff!

Jeff, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Utah, I'm sure, is beautiful this time of year.