DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Night shoot in Amsterdam Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/106805-night-shoot-amsterdam-help.html)

Chris Bottrell October 29th, 2007 03:17 PM

Night shoot in Amsterdam Help!

I am doing a public night shoot in Amsterdam soon and need a bit of help.

I have never shot in the dark before, only studio or daylight. Now i know that this forum is for everyone so i wont go into detail of what im filming you can probably guess!

Im after some suggestions on custom settings, with minimal grain, i have just bought a Bescor 100W on camera light to help.

My second question is even thought it is night time what color temp shall i use?

There will be some street lamps around that will clash with the light i am using?

Any help will be great!

Oh im shooting in PAL

Michele Coser October 30th, 2007 02:51 AM

Well, the best thing you can do is to go where the event takes place and try yourself what settings works best for your need. Anyway you can open the shutter until 1/25 (i guess you don't need the 24p motion look), do not go over +6 db of gain, but i imagine it can be too much even that.
And take a look on other presets posted around (now i don't remember mines)

Chris Soucy October 30th, 2007 03:53 AM

Hi Chris............

Hmm,

"public night shoot" in Amsterdam, huh?

Well, I've lived there, and would suggest before you do anything with the shoot relating to camera gear and use thereof, you hire a good goon squad to prevent you and gear from ending up in a convenient canal (or worse!).

You don't say for what purpose or for what use this video is being shot, so how tight do you need this to be?

Are you shooting indoors? From outside looking in? (Yeah, yeah, I KNOW Amsterdam!)

One thing is for absolute certain, if you fire up that "on camera" light without getting permission of the targets, you're chances of getting through the nights shooting without a broken limb (or neck) is pretty well zero.

Sorry if this sounds negative, not meant to be, I just know how Amsterdam works, and it isn't with un - announced photographers/ videographers hoping to make a scoop out of the Red Light district.

(soon to be a Non Red Light District - yes guys, they're shutting it down!!!)

Chris, if you want to post more info so a better shooting regime can be proposed, please do. Without that I can't give you much more than I already have.

Cs

Chris Bottrell October 30th, 2007 04:40 AM

Thanks for the input guys!

We are filming in parks and streets, and we are staying away from the redlight district, but we have our own models that we are filming, its a public exhibitionism film, the action will be shot from a maximum distance of 5 meters.

Im a bit of a amsterdam verteran myself and know the rules on the "RLD" and remember only last month a asian tourist having his nice new canon 40D removed from his hands by an angry night worker.

But we are playing it safe and have seeked permission from the local council to shoot in designated places. late at night, as far as security goes we have over 15 people with us so we should be pretty safe! i hope!