DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Now What? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/122917-now-what.html)

Thomas Walsh June 2nd, 2008 07:06 AM

Now What?

Took xl-2 to canon changed drum head and cleaned.Had some banding on playback only and was random, They said may have had a build up on heads even after cleaning them, used 3hrs. at most. Suggested running tape ff and rw to remove any chemicals possibly on it,Question is stick to the same tapes or try something else. haven't used it in the last few days since i got it back. Thanks

Tony Davies-Patrick June 2nd, 2008 05:12 PM

It is always best to stick to the same brand of tapes (Sony, Panasonic, JVC etc) and not swap between brands during a shoot unless a head-cleaning tape is used first.

If you buy a used XL2 camera or want to change tape brands, then simply run a tape-cleaner through the heads for 5-10 seconds (I rarely run a head cleaner tape for longer than 5-seconds).

I've been using JVC tapes on the XL2 (two different cameras) for hundreds of hours,and also the earlier XL1s. I also use the same head-cleaner tapes as I'm running through the cameras (in my case, JVC) and only rarely need to run it over the heads for about 5-seconds to prevent dust and gunge build-up on the heads (normally displayed by digital pixel break-up or banding via the viewfinder).

Ryan Chaney June 3rd, 2008 12:15 PM

Avoid JVC Tapes

I agree with the other advice regarding using a head cleaner occasionally and sticking to one brand of tapes, however one caveat in my experience: don't use JVC tapes as your "one brand"! I had all sorts of trouble using exclusively JVC tapes with two different XL1S camcorders. I didn't ever mix brands, I used only JVC, and I was constantly plagued with head clogs and errors on both recording and playback. Eventually I read somewhere online to avoid JVC, so I switched to Panasonic tapes and have had almost no problems since. If JVC works for the other person who posted earlier that's great, but in my experience JVC tapes were terrible for my XL1S's. Good luck!

Tony Davies-Patrick June 3rd, 2008 05:05 PM

Well...it just goes to show that there must have been other factors involved with your XL1s and not just JVC products.

I used JVC tapes in my old XL1s for many hundreds of hours in very rough conditions in all weathers worldwide. As also mentioned I've used the JVC tapes in two seperate XL2 bodies for many hundreds of hours in very adverse weather conditions and in many countries worldwide without major problems.

In fact I've just returned from a 3-month expedition in Africa where the XL2 & JVC tapes were used & abused every day, above and below the waterline...without a hiccup.

Without a doubt, in my mind anyway, it doesn't really matter which of the major brand tapes you use, as long as they are dry tapes and you stick to the same brand throughout your filming.

Jack Barker June 4th, 2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 887971)
...it doesn't really matter which of the major brand tapes you use, as long as they are dry tapes and you stick to the same brand throughout your filming.

Would you care to expand on that?

Tony Davies-Patrick June 4th, 2008 04:47 PM

Although not quite the problem as it to used to be, companies make two types of tapes - wet lubricated stock, and dry lubricated stock. The ones that were impregnated with wet lubricant tended to cause most problems, or when users swapped regularly between the two types.

As far as I'm aware, Sony is the only company that still produces 'wet' -type lubricant for thier tapes. You should be OK sticking with Sony if you only use them, but not swapping between other company brands without prior use of a head cleaning tape.

If you stick with normal modern "dry" tapes as well as dry tape-head cleaners from the same mafacturer you should avoid most problems.

Jack Barker June 4th, 2008 05:06 PM

Yeah, I'm aware of the don't mix wet and dry mantra. I had just never heard, or read anybody say, "..it doesn't really matter which of the major brand tapes you use, as long as they are dry tapes.. I think the statement might need some closer examination.

Thomas Walsh June 4th, 2008 08:56 PM

well, after getting the heads replaced after only 3 hours of use plus a hour of replay, not sure if i want to use the panasonic anymore they said at canon that the speed was or did slow down (honestly don't remember the correct ter) do to gunk or dirt i take care of the camera very well but don't know if this is a one time thing or what made this occur.maybe better trying the fs4?