DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon 14x Lens scratched! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/126101-canon-14x-lens-scratched.html)

Jenny Morgan July 16th, 2008 06:05 PM

Canon 14x Lens scratched!

I recently was screwed by a liar and unethical seller on ebay... He sold me a 14x lens in "Excellent" condition that, when I opened the box I discovered and almost 3/32" gouge in the center of the front element. "Well I never saw a scratch, you must have . . . " says the totally honest seller (can you see me gagging?)

Although the gouge is indeed "excellent" as well, I am thinking I should send this to Canon for a front element replacement.

Has anyone had such a job done and how much did it cost? Am I nuts to do this for a lens that cost me 365.00?

Jenny

Dan Keaton July 16th, 2008 06:29 PM

Have you considered disputing the transaction?

Were there photos of the lens? Did they show the gouge?

Martin Catt July 16th, 2008 07:02 PM

Dispute the transaction through eBay -- not that it will do you much good. My experience in dealing with less-than-reputable sellers through eBay mediation has not been profitable, but then again, I make sure not to buy anything outside of my "willing to eat it" range online. This was with the "old" eBay; the new policies might be better than before. You've got nothing to lose at this point by filing a dispute, and everything to gain.

Martin

Chris Hurd July 16th, 2008 07:28 PM

Brand new this lens was $1400. In my opinion, $365 plus the cost of replacing the front element won't leave you too bad off -- but yes you should file a dispute and leave negative feedback.

Jenny Morgan July 17th, 2008 08:21 AM

photos of lens?

No there were no photos of the front element, nor any mention whatsoever. There are also general cleaning and abuse marks. If I could get it fixed for 300.00 or less, I would. 665 for this lens is still good, and theoretically could be sold for that amount at today's money... however, I would keep it, cuz I want it, unless a major bargain for a 16 manual came up... However, I would mention the scratch. . . ETHICS are everything.

I'll file a dispute if and when I decide I can't live with the scratch.

I'm going to go out and shoot with it tomorrow and see how noticeable it is in the final imaging, then I can make a better decision, whatever it is.

Thanks for all your input, I'm off to call XL•XH Owners hotline and see how well it works. 800OKCANON

Dan Keaton July 17th, 2008 08:27 AM

Dear Jenny,

Ebay disputes must be filed prompty, or you lose the right to dispute a transaction.

A lens with a gouge on the front element is not in Excellent condition.

As such, you have every right to dispute the transaction.

Jenny Morgan July 17th, 2008 04:15 PM

I spoke with Canon repair today. The lens repair will cost about 300.00, as I expected. Realistically, with a total of 665.00 for the lens, post repair, I'm still not doing so bad.

Now that I know what the cost is, I can file a dispute and have some ammo in my pocket. I still plan to shoot some tomorrow and see if it even show-up in the tape... I expect it will.

Jenny

Jack Barker July 18th, 2008 08:24 AM

I agree with Dan - file your dispute now. Also, how did you pay for it? If it was via PayPal, file with them also. PayPal is an eBay company - not that there's anything wrong with eBay - but I work with them all the time, and know them to be solid and responsive.

Sellers like this must not be allowed to get away with it.

Gabriel Berube July 18th, 2008 08:38 AM

For what it's worth, I personally think sending the 14x lens to Canon for repairs is a good idea, and not too expensive considering the price you paid for it (paid mine 550$ 1 year ago on eBay).

I'm using it all the time on my XL2 ever since I got it, I like it a lot more than the stock 20X lens. It's a superb lens, well worth the repairs IMHO.

Filing a dispute with eBay and Paypal would be the thing to do though since the seller ripped you off with a inaccurate auction.

Richard Alvarez July 18th, 2008 09:03 AM

Yeah, figure if you pick up a 14x or 16x for between 500 and 700, you're doing good. Send it in for repairs, file the claim, and move on. You're good.

And really - a NEW front element with perfect coating on it? It's like a BRAND NEW 14x.

David Odell July 18th, 2008 09:12 AM

The rightfull choice would be to make the seller pay for the repair. Then atleast he would take some responsability. And you would get what you thought you bought.

Hope you get whats right for you.