DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Timecode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/135035-timecode.html)

Frank Compoccio October 1st, 2008 06:13 AM

Timecode

Can anyone help me to understand timecode. Is it like a counter on a player that it really doesn't exist? I once saw timecode actually on a VHS tape. Tell me its purpose and how to use it.

Please forgive my ignorance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

Richard Alvarez October 1st, 2008 06:38 AM

Start here.

Time code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Frank Compoccio October 1st, 2008 08:46 AM

Thanks but I need to know about it more extensively like what I posted.

Michael Nistler October 14th, 2008 09:35 AM

Hi Frank,

Sounds like your confusion is between the systems internal timecode (not visible) as opposed to the timestamp that's burned into the actual video display. The timecode is typically used to syncronize multiple recording devices (cameras, audio recorder, etc), a great time-saving device when lining up media streams in post production.

Regards, Michael

Richard Alvarez October 14th, 2008 10:48 AM

Frank, your request was pretty broad - so I sent you to a good source which would get you started, and allow you to follow links wherever your interest might lie.

Timecode that you saw on a vhs, MIGHT have been whats called a 'window dub'. THere is no way to answer your question, with the information you provided - so any answer would be pure speculation, and perhaps counterproductive to the purpose of your inquiry.

A window dub, is a 'burned in window' that illustrates the SOURCE TIMECODE that might be captured on that particular tape. The timecode in the small window represents the timecode of the original SOURCE TAPE, not the running timecode of the actual VHS tape that you are watching. Therefore its possible to watch a VHS of a program, with timecode in a window, where the timecode JUMPS forward or backward when a cut is made, indicating where that particular clip exists on a given original source tape.

OR - It could actually BE a reference timecode that someone overlaid on an original VHS dub, for reference purposes.

No way to tell from your questions.

You will have to give specific questions, if you want specific answers.

Jonathan Kirsch October 15th, 2008 08:40 AM

Basically, it's the counter for the Hours:Minutes:Seconds:Frames of a videotape (whether it's MiniDV, Beta, DigiBeta, SxS, P2, whatever)...all these formats have that timecode. That way, when editing, there's a standard that editors can use to locate a specific frame, scene, etc. on the tape.

How the timecode "counts" frames differs whether you're NTSC, PAL, Drop-frame or non-drop-frame.

That's the really short, BROAD definition.

Michael Nistler October 15th, 2008 12:26 PM

Using Free Run Time Code as an External
Sync Substitute for XL2 Multi-Camera Shoots

XL2 Free Run Time Code as an External Sync by Chris Hurd