DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Transporting XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/140171-transporting-xl2.html)

Victor Guzman December 22nd, 2008 09:44 PM

Transporting XL2

Hello all, I am going to be traveling via/ vehicle and will have my XL2 in a Pelican case. I will leave my belongings in my SUV for about 3 months during the month of January 09. will it be safe to do that, as far as temperature and humidity goes, and will I have to buy something to put in the pelican case?? Any other advice while storing and transporting my camera will be appreciated.

Victor Guzman December 23rd, 2008 06:53 PM

what no help? this is a first!no one?

Bill Zens December 23rd, 2008 11:54 PM

Victor, assuming the temperature and humidity and weather extremes are not too bad your gear should be OK. But, this is winter, and bringing any camera in from cold to room temperature can cause dew and condensation to form on the tape heads, inside the lens, and wreck all sorts of havoc within.

But, safe is a relative term. Unless I have a real good view of my car, I cannot bear to leave my equipment in it unattended for more than a couple minutes. It's my baby, leaving it in the car unattended is unacceptable to me. Too many bad things can happen.

Will

Richard Alvarez December 24th, 2008 10:44 AM

Victor its not clear from your post what it is you are asking. Is it 'safe' to leave the camera locked in a car for the duration of the winter? For a few moments? Moving it in and out of the car repeatedly over a shoot? What is the climate you are travelling in?

Work with us here.

Allen Plowman December 24th, 2008 11:27 AM

you might want to consider an airtight case for the electronic equipment if you plan to store it in a car for 3 months. You might find something suitable at a military surplus store.

Bob Safay December 24th, 2008 05:02 PM

I suggest you lock the pelican case, and find some way of bolting the case to the floor of the trunk. Like the others stated, unless I am literally living in my car there is no way I would keep my XL-2 and other stuff in my car for 3 months, at least not anywhere I have been. I believe there are several posts here where people had their camcorders stolen out of their trunks while they were only gone for a few minutes. To many people watching you put it in and take it out. Any kid in my old neighberhood in Brooklyn could pop a trunk in 15 seconds flat. Bob

Victor Guzman December 26th, 2008 01:51 PM

more info: (the begining paragraph had everything in it, but for our slower viewers..)
I will be on a military post training for 3 months........security is not a factor, stuff is less likely to be stolen. I will not touch my stuff in the SUV for 3 months. My camera will be in a pelican case in my SUV for 3 months. As stated, will it be safe to leave it in my SUV for 3 months, will there be any physical problems with leaving it in there. such problems as Temperature, condensation. Will i have to buy a product that will be placed inside the case to prevent condensation or such? thank you very much, sorry i wasnt clear in the prior paragraph. by the way, Merry Christmas(late) hope all had a great time

Allen Plowman December 27th, 2008 02:44 AM

Victor, I have read and reread your original post, it clearly states "going to be traveling via/ vehicle and will have my XL2 in a Pelican case. I will leave my belongings in my SUV for about 3 months during the month of January 09" which would clearly let us observant sharp readers know that you would be in your vehicle with your gear for three months.
Thank you for the clarification. as I stated earlier, a pressurized case will ensure your items will not suffer from the storage. That was what we used to store expensive electronics in the military.

Chris Soucy December 27th, 2008 04:27 PM

Hi Victor.................

well, it may have been in the initial post but it didn't make any sense to me either, guess I really am a bit slow then..................

As for leaving the cam banged up for 3 months:

Remove tape - doh!

Remove battery and store where contacts can't touch anything metal.

Ensure all items are completely dry, then get a good handfull of silica gel packs and sprinkle liberally around the interior of the case with/ in/ on the gear.

Lock case.

Don't break neck during training.

Voila.

CS

Victor Guzman December 27th, 2008 11:33 PM

COOL!!! so I can get the gel silica packs from shoe boxes right? thanks so much

Victor Guzman December 28th, 2008 12:03 AM

By the way, I'm not trying to come out rude when talked about "slow"viewers, sorry that did come out wrong................statement changed