DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Bought XL2 w/ Issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/140397-bought-xl2-w-issue.html)

Victor Guzman December 27th, 2008 11:57 PM

Bought XL2 w/ Issue

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, I bought an XL2 from someone for 1500. I got the camera and he also said it had 2 years left on his extended warranty from Repair Tech Platinum, he gave me the warranty card(Repair Tech) and his Canon Membership Card. He bought the camera 2 years ago. My first question is for a situation like this, will the warranty transfer to me(new owner) Second, I noticed a seperation of two panels, (behind the microphone/viewfinder assembly) I attached a picture because its hard to explain the problem. It doesnt look like damage from negligence, it just looks like it came un done. How would I go about getting this fixed? and hopefuly I dont have to pay. I overlooked that because it wasnt noticable until I took it apart for a dust off. Thank you guys

Jeff Harper December 28th, 2008 01:10 AM

Don't know the company with your warranty but with other companies the original owner has to take action to transfer the warranty. Original owner should have known this and you two should have discussed it, taken care of it before you purchased camera.

Hopefully he/she will agree to contact the company and take care of this for you.

Jack Barker December 28th, 2008 10:20 AM

You should contact Repair Tech, and ask them about their procedures in general, and your warranty in particular.

Web site: Repairtech

Email: info@repairtechinc.com

Victor Guzman December 28th, 2008 09:40 PM

I wonder if this can be fixed without sending it in........... also, when I switch the mode knob from off to automatic, it kinda makes a clicking sound, is that normal?

Ryan Chaney December 28th, 2008 11:01 PM

XL2 Click

The clicking sound at startup is totally normal, it's the little mechanical AF drive in your camera body connecting with the 20X lens I believe.

I think the other problem you have is a missing screw which holds the two halves of the handle together. Same thing was the case with my used XL2. I was told by a repair tech that apparently Canon frequently shipped new XL2s with that screw somewhat loose and that it would eventually work its way out over time. Can you hear the screw rattling around inside the camera body (as was the case with me) or did it just fall out externally?

Victor Guzman December 29th, 2008 12:15 AM

there is no rattle and visualy looking at it there are no external screws missing, The screws are on the left side by the mic plug in (as you look at the picture) does that screw go all the way to the othe half to tighten it? also can those screws be loosened by an allen wrench, if not with what tool? thanks for your response, as i hope this isnt an issue to send in.

Greg Boston December 29th, 2008 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Chaney (Post 985327)
The clicking sound at startup is totally normal, it's the little mechanical AF drive in your camera body connecting with the 20X lens I believe.

It's actually the Variable Angle Prism that forms the OIS being initialized at power on. If you look at the end of the lens during power up, you'll see the action taking place.

-gb-

Victor Guzman December 29th, 2008 12:25 AM

oh thats pretty cool

Victor Guzman December 29th, 2008 02:49 PM

Hey Ryan good advice on that screw, I got my allen wrenches and found they will unscrew it. It looks as if the "niple" were the screw threads to, broke the top piece and now it takes a longer screw to bring the halves together. I move the camera around and it does sound like the little chipped part is in there: I'm going to try to take the 2 halves apart far enough to have that little piece come out, with saying that........would there be any problems with seperating the two halves? IE, connectors of some sort that would be a pain to align when puting back together? thanks

Ryan Chaney December 29th, 2008 07:25 PM

If You're Brave

I'm glad to hear that my advice about the loose screw was helpful. =) The bad news is you'll definitely want to get that broken piece out of your camera body ASAP. I left my broken piece rattling around inside for a few weeks and it eventually ended up contacting some "hot" contacts inside the camera and creating a short, rendering the XL2 completely dead (ie., would not power up AT ALL... and all this DURING a wedding shoot no less!!!). Long story short, Canon Repair had to replace the mainboard and a few other parts, to the tune of like $900+. So definitely remove the piece ASAP.

I personally wouldn't dare taking my XL2 apart to get at the loose piece. I've seen photos of the inside of an XL2 and I do believe there are several ribbon connectors, etc. tying the two "halves" of the camera together if I recall. At any rate, it's much too expensive and complex of a machine for me to mess around inside of... but if you're brave, I suppose it's up to you. The other option is send it to Canon for a general "tune-up"/cleaning type of service which costs about $240 I think and you could ask them to remove it while they have it in the shop.

Good luck!

Victor Guzman December 29th, 2008 09:00 PM

I gently moved the camera around and opened the halves far enough for the "piece" to fall out............and behold.....a tiny screw came out!!! wow, i wonder where that came from? well, in the future im going to buy new!! lol, in the future i better have more money! I dont know if I'm paranoid now but I think I hear a rattle when I move the camera around