DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 w/ Telescope? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/143566-xl2-w-telescope.html)

Andre Guevara February 11th, 2009 04:56 PM

XL2 w/ Telescope?

Greetings,
I am curious as to whether the XL2 can record live footage thru a scope. Is this a possibility or just mere fantasy? If possible, I'd be more than grateful if anyone can advise me as i am itching to know. thanks in advance.

Matt Cikovic February 11th, 2009 10:22 PM

Buy the Canon EF adapter for the XL2, a good tripod, and maybe a 100+mm EF lens and because of the magnification rate you'll basically turn your XL2 into a telescope.

Peer Landa February 12th, 2009 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Cikovic (Post 1010628)
Buy the Canon EF adapter for the XL2, a good tripod, and maybe a 100+mm EF lens and because of the magnification rate you'll basically turn your XL2 into a telescope.

I was thinking the same -- why not get a 400mm EF lens and the EF adapter; that combo would make the XL2 a 2880mm telescope!

-- peer

Per Johan Naesje February 12th, 2009 10:00 AM

Andre, second what Matt and Peer tells you.
What's your aim/target? If you're going to look for stars and galaxies, you may be in lack of enough light for a resonable recording. The XL-2 don't have the sufficient long exponation times required.
If you however, are recording in daylight, using long 35mm telephotolenses + ef-adapter will do. I've used this set up for a long time. I've used up to Canon 600mm f4.0 gives you remarkable +4300mm (35mm equivalent)!
You need a reliable tripod-system for adequate recording quality though!

Andre Guevara February 12th, 2009 11:54 AM

Thank you for responding, guys.
however, i was referring to using an actual telescope (reflector, refractor, cassegrain whichever) as the camera's primary lens. I do have the EF adapter along w/ the 70-200mm and i am obviously only limited to the beauty of the Moon. of course i can get a 400mm lens (as Peer has mentioned) or even the 800mm super telephoto, which would give me craters which don't get me wrong can be quite an entrancing experience, but I was wondering if I can view (through the XL2) the planetary and deep sky objects (saturn, jupiter, galaxies, and nebulae) that an 8inch or 10inch scope can unearth.

Andre Guevara February 12th, 2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje (Post 1010826)
What's your aim/target? If you're going to look for stars and galaxies, you may be in lack of enough light for a resonable recording. The XL-2 don't have the sufficient long exponation times required.
If you however, are recording in daylight, using long 35mm telephotolenses + ef-adapter will do. I've used this set up for a long time. I've used up to Canon 600mm f4.0 gives you remarkable +4300mm (35mm equivalent)!
You need a reliable tripod-system for adequate recording quality though!

ahh, the light would be an issue. you are correct. i clearly overlooekd this. but i would still like to try this out. is it possible? i've heard of a T-mount and C-adapter which would attach to the scope's eyepiece or..something. any help is greatly appreciated, Per.

John Stakes February 12th, 2009 12:53 PM

If it can be thought of, it can be done. I know there is an adapter that photographers use to mate the eyepiece of the telescope directly to where the lens goes on the camera. SO....that means that if you have the ability to use 35mm lenses with your XL2, then you're good to go with this adapter. I lost the link but a quick search should yield results.

JS

John Stakes February 12th, 2009 01:03 PM

well im kind of upset...my very detailed post did not go through and im not re-typing. Sorry. The niddy griddy is that if you have the ability to use 35mm lenses with your XL2, then you just have to purchase the adapter that photographers use. Do a quick search on photography - telescope adapter...costs around $50 if I recall.

JS

Andre Guevara February 12th, 2009 04:45 PM

Thank you, John.
i did some research and this is what i found:

<b>Telescope Camera Adapters
Connecting a camera directly to a telescope normally requires both a camera adapter and a T-Ring. The camera adapter connects the telescope focuser to a T-Ring, which in turn connects to the camera body as if it were a lens. The outside diameter of the camera adapter must be match to the telescope focuser; therefore, both 1.25" and 2" models are available. The "T" in T-Ring actually refers to a standard thread. Camera adapters feature a male T thread, and T-Rings feature a female thread. Some cameras, such as the Meade DSI Series, feature a 1-1/4" nose piece for insertion into a focuser or 1.25" adapter. This nose piece may be removed to reveal a female T thread.</b>

Telescope Camera Adapters

John Stakes February 13th, 2009 04:17 PM

Glad you found some stuff. Again if I find the original link I will post. It's so difficult posting on here from work since we upgraded IE. Firefox is where it's at!

JS

Peer Landa February 15th, 2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje (Post 1010826)

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's some "telescopic" XL2 test footage by Per Johan (a fellow Norwegian on this forum ;^)

Månen, - 380400 km unna

-- peer

Andre Guevara February 16th, 2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1012366)
In case you haven't seen it yet, here's some "telescopic" XL2 test footage by Per Johan (a fellow Norwegian on this forum ;^)

Månen, - 380400 km unna

-- peer

Absolutely amazing. thank you for posting this.