DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Welcome to the XL2 Watchdog forum. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28844-welcome-xl2-watchdog-forum.html)

Chris Hurd July 13th, 2004 12:07 AM

Welcome to the XL2 Watchdog forum.

This discussion board is meant to accompany our new site, The XL2 Watchdog, but due to the way things have to work sometimes, the forum has been launched prior to the site (I'll give ya the site location as soon as I can).

The way this board will develop is going to be similar to the original XL1 / XL1S discussion group... we'll start with one general forum for right now, and as various threads build and accumulate, they will be split off into sub-forums, such as Lens & Optics, etc., as needed. For now, all XL2 topics will live "under one roof" right here, so you're in the right place. But you knew that already.

Robin Davies-Rollinson July 13th, 2004 10:08 AM

Just arrived home after the official Canon (UK) launch at Pinewood Studios.
Wow!!!
Almost lost for words.
The XL2 rocks!
Canon seem to have listened to what we wanted in a professional DV camera and provided it in this new model (well, new in features if not in shape - I still don't think that the balance issue for hand-held shooting has been addressed, even with the standard shoulder-pad, but there will always be some accessory manufacturers ready to design and supply shoulder mounts...)
I should be getting one to test in a few days. I'm really glad to see that Canon have provided proper 16:9. I don't really have any use for progressive scan, but I do need 16:9 since all my broadcast work is widescreen.
All in all, a really good day - is it Christmas already???

Robin.

Graham Bernard July 13th, 2004 11:51 AM

Robin - You very DARK Horse .. . HAHAHA!!!

Robin, you live in Wales . .how come you were just walking past Pinewood Studios .. . You wize old owl ! . . You knew it was gonna happen . . . you had organised your time to get there . . very very good . . .

.. . well, is it the replacement for Grazie's XM2? Should I buy another XM2? . ..

Grazie

Robin Davies-Rollinson July 13th, 2004 12:26 PM

Graham,
I wangled an invite from Canon UK some weeks back, but because of the embargo , I couldn't reveal anything ...
I think the camera is superb and I should be getting one to test this week. I'm going to have to start saving the sheckels...
At last, proper 16:9...

Robin.

Chris Hurd July 17th, 2004 08:27 PM

Don Berube has offered to help out with this board, and considering he's one of the very few people in the U.S. who are actually trained on it, how could I resist? Welcome aboard, Don. Now get to work. By the way, let the record show that I made good on that round of beer. Now if I can only remember the name of that bar...