DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Focus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28914-xl2-focus.html)

David Clark July 13th, 2004 04:51 PM

XL2 Focus

Does anyone know if the back focus problem has been fixed in the new lens? Also, does the tally light blink anymore (I hope not)? I'm guessing the SMPTE code will now work for legal depositions. Thanks

Jeff Donald July 13th, 2004 04:57 PM

Back focus is always a concern on cameras with removable lenses. I suspect the 20X L lens will be like the 16X and 3x lenses. Both lack an external back focus adjustment and the camera and lens will need to be sent to Canon should the back focus become misadjusted. The manual lenses have an adjustable back focus built in and are user adjustable.

Robert Knecht Schmidt July 13th, 2004 08:56 PM

It looks from the pictures like the Push AF button is now more like a switch than a push-button?

Chris Hurd July 14th, 2004 01:04 AM

RKS -- Yes. It is now a sliding button instead of a push button.

Rob Lohman July 14th, 2004 04:22 AM

David: you can switch off the tally light on the XL1S which is my
default setting here. I assume the XL2 will have a similar setting
if it has a tally light at all (couldn't see one on the photos)

David Clark July 14th, 2004 07:33 AM

Thanks, I never do use the talley because the blinking looks too consumer.

Rob Lohman July 14th, 2004 07:38 AM

I'm sorry, but if THAT's the reason for you to turn it off I almost
hope the XL2 has one you can't turn off <g>

I turn it off so I don't see it in reflections on shiny tables, plastic,
glass etc. etc.

Ed Scarlett July 14th, 2004 08:21 AM

Back Focus

How often were you XL1/s users sending in your cams to Canon for adjustment...I would assume as long as you don't remove the lens, you should be fine...am I correct in this assessment?

David Clark July 14th, 2004 10:08 AM

Actually Rob, I do alot of depos and I've had several lawyers ask if I'm recording (not that thats their business anyway), the blinking light is a distraction. I used to have a JVC dv 500 (not as good a camera like the Canon of course), but it did have the continually lit light. When I'm getting comments from guests at receptions, most people ask if I'm on. And it does look more professional. Not a big deal really. If it still has the blinking light, believe me, it won't stop me from buying the XL-2. It looks like they a great job on this one! 'Nuff said.

Look, I've been promoted to a "New Boot" already!

Jeff Donald July 14th, 2004 12:08 PM

Ed, I had an XL1, never sent it in for back focus. I have an XL1s and it hasn't gone in either. I change lenses all the time. I don't think back focus issues are related to the frequency of changing lenses.

Ed Scarlett July 14th, 2004 03:02 PM

Back Focus

Thanks Jeff. According to the review on the the Manual 16X on this site, they state that changing the Auto lens on and off seems to cause Backfocus issues...Check out the review yourself...maybe I misinterpreted the article. Also, I am in your back yard...I live in Largo!

Jeff Donald July 14th, 2004 03:11 PM

Removing lenses would be a good suspicion as to the cause, but there is no hard evidence and I doubt Canon will come forth with an explanation. I can only report that my experience is to the contrary and removing lenses has not been an issue (or cause) with back-focus for me. Back-focus issues may also be related with the handling of the lens while it is removed.