DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Web Streaming (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28961-web-streaming.html)

Greg Boston July 14th, 2004 02:26 PM

Web Streaming

Has anyone noticed this feature which is discussed on Canon's website under specs for the XL-2.

From the Canon website:

DV Streaming

Not only can you capture high quality video with the XL2, you can stream it over the Internet. With streaming video, the content is compressed and encoded to make the file size smaller and more quickly transmitted. This lets the video be played as it is being received.

I get the impression that the camera is supposed to be able to compress and encode on the fly for live webcasts. Very interesting indeed.

James Emory July 15th, 2004 08:39 AM

XL-2 streaming video

I don't necessarily think that this means that the camera itself encodes/compresses video. I think what it is saying is that you can firewire the signal to a device, such as a PC with encoding/compression software, that does encode/compress the video for live or file download streaming. If the XL-2 did do this, that would be neato!

Yi Fong Yu July 15th, 2004 09:48 AM

i think this is done with canon's DV Messenger. the lower end models come with this.

Greg Boston July 15th, 2004 10:30 AM

I see what you guys are saying but....that is a software function, hardly a camera function.

If I want to do 'web streaming' with pc software doing the compressing and encoding, I can do that with my current XL-1. It will feed a live firewire signal and will even stay on if you leave the tape out. Windows XP sees it as a Canon DV device.

The fact that they included this in a 'camera specs' section is what led me to the original conclusion that the camera was providing the compressing and encoding.

It may be the same feature that allows it to write Type I and Type II AVI files to a hard disk. Perhaps this is a function of the NEW software available for XL club members.

Perhaps Mr. Hurd will jump in and provide some clarification since he has access to the XL-2 at present.

Otherwise, I'll find out when I get mine in about a month.

Chris Hurd July 15th, 2004 05:09 PM

I'll put this on the list of things to check tomorrow morning, but I'm pretty sure they're just referring to their DV Messenger software.

Greg Boston July 15th, 2004 07:38 PM

Thanks Chris.

Everyone at least agrees that it would be a very nice feature if in fact it is done in camera. Drink a couple of Shiner Bock's for me if you can find them. Maybe I'll get there next year.

Chris Hurd July 15th, 2004 10:48 PM

Shiner Bock cannot be found in Manhattan. At least I haven't found it here. That's a good thing, though. Its unavailability just makes you appreciate home that much more. Dammit, you're making me thirsty now.

Kurt Franz November 5th, 2017 04:30 PM

Re: Web Streaming

Chris,
Did we ever get an answer to this? :)

Had to ask.......was reading the old posts and came across it

cheers
kf

Boyd Ostroff November 5th, 2017 05:42 PM

Don't know anything about web streaming on the XL2, but you can get Shiner Bock in Manhattan now and I can even get it in my little town in Southern New Jersey!

Kurt Franz November 6th, 2017 09:01 PM

Now if we could just get Pearl..........

Chris Hurd November 7th, 2017 11:23 AM

Kurt, apologies for the delay in responding.

Canon's DV Messenger software was indeed the deal here.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...dv-messenger-2

I can get the user manual PDF to you but the software is compatible only with Windows XP.

These days there are better ways to go, I think. And, Shiner is much easier to find, thankfully.

Kurt Franz November 7th, 2017 07:49 PM

chris
thanks for responding.....i have a dedicated xp machine. with my dvstorm2 and stormbay installed along with edius 4.6, mediachance dvdlab, serious magiic ultra, canon console, and adobe premiere 3

the price is right and it is a fun hobby ........

never had shiner , but plenty of pearl back in the day

cheers
kf