DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 size comparison to Xl1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/29588-xl2-size-comparison-xl1.html)

Andrew Paul July 25th, 2004 11:55 AM

XL2 size comparison to Xl1

I noticed a few threads talking about the size of the XL2 compared to the XL1. Mainly for compatability with bags, rain covers etc. Just thoight I`d put my pennys worth in. Last weekend, I was at Brighton (UK) seafront trying to film fat people for a documentary I`m doing. A guy sitting at a table called me over to see his camera. Sitting on the table was the new XL2 Pal version, he had it for the day to do a review on, so we spend a few minutes looking it over. When I put my XL1s next to the XL2, it was a lot bigger. The viewfinder housing was bigger, the lens seemed bigger, evrything about the camera was bigger. It looked like big brother had met little brother. If you have an XL1 and are planning on using a bag or rain cover etc that is a tight fit, I don`t think your gonna get the XL2 in.

It was quite a shock to see the XL2 sitting on a table in Brighton, let alone checking out the size. I only had a few minutes with it, but first impressions to me where that this camera was definately up on the XL1, even just looking through the viewfinder was a marked improvement. Not too sure if I can justify the extra cost though, not just yet anyway.

Jay Gladwell July 26th, 2004 08:17 AM

If you have an XL1 and are planning on using a bag or rain cover etc that is a tight fit, I don`t think your gonna get the XL2 in.

If that's the case, it's a disappointment. However, that will not prevent me from upgrading to the XL2. I am truly looking forward to getting my hands on this camera!

Jay

Chris Hurd July 26th, 2004 09:09 AM

<< A guy sitting at a table called me over to see his camera. Sitting on the table was the new XL2 Pal version, he had it for the day to do a review on, so we spend a few minutes looking it over. >>

Sounds to me like you ran into a fellow DV Info Net member. Robin Davies-Rollinson?

Robin Davies-Rollinson July 26th, 2004 09:25 AM

Not guilty Chris!
I was shooting material in Wales at the time, which is a bit more to the west.
Sounds like Canon (UK) had a few spare cameras to dish out to people.

Andrew Paul July 26th, 2004 11:33 AM

Not sure of the guys name. Any other places that people have seen the XL2 unexpectantly ?

Alex Okita July 26th, 2004 08:06 PM

Has anyone taken photos of an XL2 sitting next to an XL1? That would make the numbers on dimensions more clear as to what they really mean.

Yi Fong Yu July 26th, 2004 08:16 PM

does this mean i'm gonna throw out my current case that fits xl1s? hmmm... should i get a new case? mine fits xl1s perfectly but if xl2 is bigger than i should sell it with case as well! =).

Rob Lohman August 2nd, 2004 02:56 PM

Probably, depends on what kind of case you have now and how
large it is. Check out the dimensions in the specs.

Michael Wagener August 8th, 2004 07:17 PM

Does anybody know if accessories like the Cavision matte box (bought for the XL1S) will fit the XL2? I see there is a tripod plate now, wonder if all that will fit with the matte box?

Chris Hurd August 8th, 2004 07:20 PM

It will take some degree of time to determine which of the third-party XL1 accessories (such as the CaVision line) are or are not compatible with trhe XL2.

Paul Colt August 10th, 2004 08:33 AM

Any idea on XL-2 Pal Price

When you checked out the camera you didnt' happen to get a price on it did ya? I'm going to be shooting in Australia and a PAL XL-2 will be just the ticket

Rob Lohman August 11th, 2004 02:08 AM

NTSC model: $4,999
PAL model: £4,300 / 6.500 euro (estimates)

That would be 30,044.3 MYR I believe.

Lauri Kettunen August 13th, 2004 12:39 AM

Re: XL2 size comparison to Xl1

>If you have an XL1 and are planning on using a bag or rain >cover etc that is a tight fit, I don`t think your gonna get the XL2 >in.

Is anybody able to say whether the XL2 will fit into the Canon aluminium carrying case of XL1?

Rob Lohman August 13th, 2004 02:51 AM

Lauri: it won't fit in that case, sorry.