DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Body Only Kit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/30694-xl2-body-only-kit.html)

Justin Streitler August 18th, 2004 05:22 PM

XL2 Body Only Kit

I was just thinking, Im planning on buying the body only version, and getting the 16x manual lens. What I didnt think of earlier is will I also have to buy a viewfinder and mic for the camera as well. If so do you think ZGC will have good deal for that. Also if I do indeed need a mic what would be a good one for on camera and then mount that same on on a boom when I shoot planned setups.

Thanks,

Justin S.

Jean-Philippe Archibald August 18th, 2004 05:29 PM

The color viewfinder and mic are included in the body kit only. In fact, it is much a lensless kit than a body kit. But ZGC will also provide some costum kit with differents choices of lenses and B&W view finder.

Hope this help,

Justin Streitler August 18th, 2004 05:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I just saw somewhere that it does not come with lens and viewfinder. Ohh well I guess ill just wait like everyone else. Im sure ZGC will give me a good deal any way I decide to go. What is a good mic though for mounting on a boom and all around getting good quality audio? I was thinking about the ME66.

Nick Hiltgen August 23rd, 2004 08:58 PM

Jean-Phillipe

Just wanted to double check that you're POSITIVE that the body only includes a mic and viewfinder, as I was speaking with a retailer today and he said that some of the XL1s last year didn't come with a VF body only literally meant body ONLY. As it is neither of us were positive on what the body kit's would included with xl2 as they haven't shipped yet but if you're sure I was wondering where you read or saw it so I could relay the info.

Thanks
Nick

Jean-Philippe Archibald August 24th, 2004 06:37 AM

Hi Nick,

Jeff Donald confirmed this to me in this thread

And since then, the body only kit is on the B&H site so you can check by yourself in the included items : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

Hope this help,

Bill Ravens August 24th, 2004 07:13 AM

If you look carefully at the accessory list on the B&H website, the accessories listed for the XL2 body kit come from the XL1 body kit.
Regardless, the XL2 body kit does, in fact, come with the viewfinder and mike.

I 've successfully verified this thru zotzdigital.com who has graciously accepted my order for a body kit. I would suggest contacting them.

Joel Guy August 24th, 2004 09:04 AM

Bill,

Did they happen to give you an approximate date when the body only kits would be available? Thanks.

Bill Ravens August 24th, 2004 09:18 AM

Last indication I had was October.
After the full XL2 kit hits the market.

Yi Fong Yu September 15th, 2004 11:30 AM

anyone have further updates on when body ONLY will be available? i plan on keeping my xl1s's lens.

David Lach September 15th, 2004 12:10 PM

Oh would I have liked the body only kit to be in fact body only, and therefore even less expensive, with no lens, no mic and no viewfinder.

I have my own shotgun mic, a very good one, and will only be shooting with a soundman and a fishpole anyway.

Also, I wanted the B&W CRT viewfinder instead of the color EVF bundled, but I Emailed ZGC about it and they told me they couldn't do that since they'd be the ones stuck with the EVF afterwards. Makes sense, but does not make me happy, as I don't want to put an extra $1500 for the FU-1000 just to end up throwing the EVF in the closet and never use it again. If I can find a dealer that will allow me to swap the EVF and the B&W viewfinder, they'll get my money.

My main concern for wanting this viewfinder of course is critical focusing. I'll be using a manual lens, don't know which one yet, but it'll be manual, I know that much. So I'll have to try the new EVF 1st to see if it's possible to obtain precise focus with it. But I'd much rather go with just the CRT viewfinder if it was possible, since it should do a much better job than a simple EVF.

Joel Guy September 15th, 2004 01:18 PM

David,

Try www.zotzdigital.com, one of this sites sponsors. When you get to the site, look on the left side, and click on "camcorder shooting combo's". When that comes up, click to go to Page 2 of the combo's, and at the top of that page, you should see something called the "Canon XL2 custom." That package comes with the B&W viewfinder and the 16x manual lens. At the bottom, you can request a quote. Brian over there is really friendly and helpful, and I'm sure he'd be willing to work with you if it was at all possible. Hope this helps.

David Lach September 15th, 2004 01:45 PM

Thanks Joel, but I already did get a quote from him for that package, and the price was more than decent if you want both viewfinders, but he too cannot swap the EVF for the CRT. I guess I'll have to find a dealer that is in contact with someone that needs the EVF and work some kind of 3-way deal. Yeah right, I stand a bigger chance to win the Nobel price...

Yi Fong Yu September 15th, 2004 02:34 PM

so you guys saying that the body-only kit is out RIGHT NOW? i can't see it on bhs

David Lach September 15th, 2004 10:56 PM

It's not out yet. But you can pre-order.

Christopher Go September 23rd, 2004 10:04 AM

Just visited ZGC's website and saw that they are expecting the body only kits in November. I was under the impression that they would be coming out in October?