DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 first real life impression (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/30876-xl2-first-real-life-impression.html)

Mark Grgurev August 21st, 2004 12:06 PM

XL2 first real life impression

link no longer valid

Jacques Mersereau August 22nd, 2004 08:58 AM

I don't want to throw flames, but it's kinda amazing that these guys
got a hold of a new XL2, but didn't have a tripod and had never
used the XL1 or XL1s. Statements from inexperienced reviewers
who can't even scrounge a tripod for a test don't exactly fill me with trust.
(Moving along now. . . next review please!)

My complaint is NOT against those guys as it was cool of them to try
and let people know about the new XL2. My bitch is that
Canon should get the camera into the hands of
someone like Charles Papert or Bill, or Don, or Ken, (I could go on here)
who's opinion I (and I believe many others) would actually value.

If this happens guys don't forget a tripod ;0

Chris Hurd August 22nd, 2004 09:15 AM

I'm working on that -- it seems the PAL reviews units were "loose" and it didn't matter who they went to.

Johnnie Behiri August 22nd, 2004 10:55 AM

Hi Jacques and chris

Hi Jacques
I am Johnnie the cameraman who shot with the XL2 without a tripod.
Nobody meant doing a review of the camera,just to give first impression "how does it feel" with the new XL2.
When you get a new camera for 2 hours you don't really care about a tripod,you run out and start shooting,and yes i did take some close ups with full tele shots just to let the others that don't know the camera yet to see how well the stabiliser work.
When I found out I can have it for the all weekend I did more shooting this time with a tripod.
In an hour I will go out again and do some night shots (with a tripod). Hope you saw some of the other footage I took (dvxuser.com).
It is a great camera and I will submit a short written impression later today.
I never used before any of the XL family cameras (like others that might be first time XL buyers) but since when using a video camera for the first was a real problem?
Chris,Just to help you with the investigation.this PAL review unit "ran" out of the Canon desk strait to AVISYS the Canon distributer in Austria. hope this is helping you "working on that",
if you need more information pls let me know I will be more then happy to help.

Thanks and I will definitely buy this great camera!

Johnnie

Kenny Lee August 22nd, 2004 01:05 PM

That XL2 footage is amazing, expecially the train and church scenes. I was all set to put my money on a DVX100 but after looking at your clips, the XL2's gonna put me in debt.

Chris Hurd August 22nd, 2004 02:23 PM

Hi Johnnie,

Congratulations on being one of the first to get some clips with the camera in real-world situations. I guess you could say that we are all a little envious of you!

What I meant by my comment above about the PAL units being "loose" is simply that they seem easier to get than NTSC units right now. That was not intended to be negative toward you -- only negative toward Canon USA! Right now in the U.S. only magazine editors can get the camera. So it is a nice surprise for all of us that you could get a PAL camera and "take it outside." I thought you did a great job, those are some beautiful shots you have there.

My comment about "working on it" is that I plan on talking to Canon USA again to see if one of our long-time experienced members here can borrow an NTSC unit for the same type of tests you did so that we can run our own clips here. It was easier for you in PAL land, here in the U.S. it is much harder to make this happen! Wish me luck on that...

Again, many thanks for a most interesting look through the PAL XL2.

Jacques Mersereau August 22nd, 2004 02:58 PM

Re: Hi Jacques and chris

<<<-- Originally posted by Johnnie Behiri : Hi Jacques
I am Johnnie the cameraman who shot with the XL2 without a tripod.
In an hour I will go out again and do some night shots (with a tripod). Hope you saw some of the other footage I took (dvxuser.com).>>>

I tried using IE 5 on my mac. but nothing happening even after downloading. I don't know what went wrong. This is strange as it didn't show up
in download manager. Sigh.

<<<It is a great camera and I will submit a short written impression later today. I never used before any of the XL family cameras (like others that might be first time XL buyers) but since when using a video camera for the first was a real problem? >>>

I said in my post that *my complaint was not with you*.
I think that guys who post their experiences are what this list serve
is all about. You certainly should be commended for posting imo!

My beef is with Canon USA
for keeping the camera out of the hands of known professionals, who
if they were to review the camera, would lend far more weight/credibility
to potential buyers (like me). I am not trying to condemn you personally,
but it *appeared* as if someone was making excuses for not having
camera support, though I understand wanting to dash out and
start shooting, but I always bring along something.

That plus the confession of inexperience with previous
XL1 models, means to me as an XL1 owner, that the reviewer is certainly unable to make comparisons between new and older models, tell about improved functions, lens, etc.
You might think the new XL2 is wonderful, but (for a crummy example)
if you had previously only owned
vhs cameras, I wouldn't necessarily gain anything from your experience.
Again, no slight to you, but them's the facts.

<<<Thanks and I will definitely buy this great camera!

Johnnie -->>>

Now this comment coming from a DVX100a owner bares some weight ;)

Anyway, thanks Johnnie, I look forward to reading your next posts.

Chris Hurd August 22nd, 2004 03:18 PM

Even though Johnnie had no previous XL experience, at least he was able to get his hands on one and do some shooting. That is the most important thing and we're all fortunate in that regard. I know what you're saying Jacques and I agree; I'll have to hammer on CUSA a bit to see if they'll consider sending an NTSC loaner to one of our guys. Keep your fingers crossed,

Kenny Lee August 22nd, 2004 06:27 PM

The sharpness in the image details is incredible! Check out the last few seconds of the the first clip with the ruffled duck feathers and the blowing sand. And this is even after being compressed into a windows media file!! ...and, Johnnie, if you weren't using a tripod, then either you've got real steady hands or the XL2's got one heck of a stablization system.

Johnnie Behiri August 22nd, 2004 07:36 PM

Hi Kenny,
Thanks for the worm words!
The "duck clip" was shot indeed with a tripod...

Any way,wait until you see the night shots.
Jarred from dvxuser.com is kind enough giving the space for the clips,without him it was not possible.

Tnx!

Johnnie

Chris Hurd August 22nd, 2004 08:29 PM

Well actually it was possible, as we host a lot of clips here too.

But right now it's better that his server takes the hit than mine, so it's all good. We'll have our own XL2 clips shortly (and here's an open invitation host for any other PAL or NTSC folks lucky enough to have their hands on one).

Jarred Land August 22nd, 2004 10:54 PM

ha ha oh boy... Thanks for letting me "take the hit"... just happy to be first to the gate :)

David Walding August 23rd, 2004 12:01 AM

Any buyers for a mint condition XL1s!

Man I gotta sell my Xl1s those night shot's are amazing I am lusting for one of these now. That first clip looked amazing for being hand held the stabilization must work great or the operator has hands of a surgeon some of those shots look to be pretty zoomed in and you hardly noticed it.

The only thing I still want to know is the Autofocus if it still drifts like the old Xl1s my GL2 never gave me the focusing problems like the bigger brother does so I hope they have ironed out that issue. I can't wait till Chris can get one or a similar XL1 user to compare them. I am really blown away by those shots I would say it is a serious quality improvement over it's predecessor, where’s my credit card gotta keep it handy when this one hits the market. If I can sell my Xl1s that is, the old lady will never approve 5k by it's self!

Jarred Land August 23rd, 2004 12:16 AM

Yes.. that nightime stuff is incredible.

Josh Bass August 23rd, 2004 03:02 AM

I gots me a question for yer: any chance for you to test it with one of the manual lenses, preferably the 16x, and see how sweet/not sweet it is? The manual lenses are wider than the new 20x lens, no?