DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   At least I posted one DV file. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/31215-least-i-posted-one-dv-file.html)

Mark Grgurev September 2nd, 2004 03:00 PM

Awesome!!!!!!! Are you gonna post any progressive footage?

Aaron Koolen September 2nd, 2004 04:52 PM

Kaku, what format is that latest file in? (the dog one). It comes out as a .txt file, but if I change the extension to other formats like .wmv, .dv, .avi or .mov It still won't play

Aaron

Kaku Ito September 2nd, 2004 06:53 PM

Mark,

It's being upleaded now.

Aaron,

You first have to unzip it.

Aaron Koolen September 2nd, 2004 10:42 PM

Kaku, I did unzip the main file, but inside is just one file called 0001.txt - That is the file I'm referring too.

Aaron

Kaku Ito September 3rd, 2004 01:51 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Kaku, I did unzip the main file, but inside is just one file called 0001.txt - That is the file I'm referring too.

Aaron -->>>

Aaron,

Sorry, evidently something must have happened while uploading. I posted the file again and am checking to download myself. I will let you know if this works okay.

Kaku Ito September 3rd, 2004 02:04 AM

Sorry, folks, it was a bad upload on the progressive footage file.

I checked downloading myself and the same link is now good to download.

Aaron Koolen September 3rd, 2004 02:36 AM

Thanks Kaku. Re-downloading now.

Cheers
Aaron

Barry Goyette September 3rd, 2004 10:56 AM

Thanks for posting the progressive clip kaku....even though the vertical detail was set at low, I am very impressed with the fine detail from the camera...when the camera finally focuses on the bicycle there is very tactile sense of all the parts...the crankset, wheels etc...very impressive. Can't wait. The depth of field seems very shallow to me...obviously the long lens is helping, but what was your f-stop, if you remember.

Barry

Kaku Ito September 3rd, 2004 08:54 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Goyette : Thanks for posting the progressive clip kaku....even though the vertical detail was set at low, I am very impressed with the fine detail from the camera...when the camera finally focuses on the bicycle there is very tactile sense of all the parts...the crankset, wheels etc...very impressive. Can't wait. The depth of field seems very shallow to me...obviously the long lens is helping, but what was your f-stop, if you remember.

Barry -->>>

Bary,

For progressive, canon recommends to set vertical detial low, so the close to horizantal lines of objects don't flicker (actually still flickers) when progressive footage played on interlaced monitor. There are some posts about flickering issue here in the forum but this issue seems to be common problem for watchin progressive footage on interlaced monitor, or it could be the problem when video is played back at 24p or 30p, us humans notice flickers but not at the rate of 60 frame (thus interlace gives the psuedo 60 frame by using 60 fields). So, for now, my conclusion is that anything moving fast in the frame faster than walking speed is not so ideal for progressive. I need more techniques of shooting films to utillize the progressive mode.

For f-stop, I was shooting at auto but I checked the tape with data code displayed and the bike portion is F8.0 and after panned with the dog on the grass area is F11, shutter speed 1/30 (I don't remember that I set it to 1/30, so the custom preset must have set it to 1/30 because it was in 30p mode).

Kaku Ito September 6th, 2004 12:59 AM

As Barry already owning XL2 and providing great footage, I'm going to open up my disk space for NV-GS400 again, so the XL2 clips are going to be erased. Thank you for watching.

Marty Hudzik September 6th, 2004 08:25 AM

Kaku,
I unfortunately didn't get to see your footage. But I am curious about what you think of the colors of the XL2. I have mine and haved played with it a little in the last 2 days. However I feel as though the colors are quite muted. I notice an incredible drop off of color if I go from F1.8 to F2.8 At 2.8 the reds and greens seem to just lose their pop.

I am coming from a DVX100. I experienced a similar dropoff in color rendition only when I would start hitting f5.6 and lower on that cam.

Just wondering.

Everybody seems to love their XL2's so I am wondering if I got a lemon.

Kaku Ito September 6th, 2004 08:54 AM

Marty,

When I shot the same thing with XL2 and Panasonic NV-GS400, what I noticed was the gradation of green seems to be better with NV-GS400. However, there was big difference in blurred image quality which made GS400 really bad. Although I should have turned off the OIS with GS400, you can tell the value of GS400. But XL2 has so much more control, no question about that.

I'm posting the clip on my blog. It might take another 30 minutes to complete the uploading.

Kaku Ito September 6th, 2004 09:03 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Goyette : Thanks for posting the progressive clip kaku....even though the vertical detail was set at low, I am very impressed with the fine detail from the camera...when the camera finally focuses on the bicycle there is very tactile sense of all the parts...the crankset, wheels etc...very impressive. Can't wait. The depth of field seems very shallow to me...obviously the long lens is helping, but what was your f-stop, if you remember.

Barry -->>>

Barry,

I saw your clips and bird, surf were so nice!!

By the way, I forgot to mention that the reason why Canon says in the manual to set the vertical detail low is to eliminate the flicker when progressive footage to be played back on interlaced monitor (which is the most case). It seems to be noway out about close to the horizantal line would be flickering in slow frame rate like 30 and 24.