DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Just got my XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/31608-just-got-my-xl2.html)

John Wheeler September 8th, 2004 09:43 PM

Just got my XL2

Received my XL2 today. Havent had a chance to crack open the box and play with it yet. Had a late day at work. Which is pretty typical ......I have a job to support my hobby, but i spend so much time at my job that I dont have time for my hobby. So in other words. I have 30,000 dollars worth of stuff sitting in my room, and all i can do is look at it ..as i pass by it, each night, before i go to bed

Anyway. I had a gl-1 for 2 years ..and I've had a gl2 for a year. And I've used them a bunch. I've also played around quite a bit with some xl1's. I not that much of a tech head, but I know that i am very demanding and critical when it comes to getting more of a film look. So I'll be sure to give my impressions and send some footage from the xl2.

and also, ....if anyone has any basic tests they want me to perform, I'd be glad to do it.

Let me know

j.

Steve Hagins September 8th, 2004 11:37 PM

Welcome!

Congrats on your new cam! I know the feeling of the day job getting in the way of the "fun stuff"... I got mine on Saturday, so I had Sunday and Monday to play

Good Luck

David Walding September 9th, 2004 01:08 AM

Low light shot's

I am really interested to see some footage indoors with standard lighting. Maybe a close up of someone sitting close to a candle, I know that is very low light but I am curious to see how well it does. Also how does the auto-focus work, .i.e pick a couple of objects at varying distances and use the fastest setting for the zoom and change of focal length to each subject. This always drove me crazy with the XL1s when I would change my zoom settings to another object or person it always hunted for 2-4 seconds. My GL2 never had those problems(well at least not nearly as long as the XL1), If you still have the GL2 a color comparison between them would be great I still think the GL2 has the best color representation I have seen on a comcorder.

If you can do these I will be for ever thankful as I am really wanting to buy this camera but I need to be wooed to throw down 5k!

If you need a place to post it I can help you out there as I have lots of space avalible.

Hope this isn't to much to ask!

Antoine Fabi September 9th, 2004 02:58 PM

==================

"...and also, ....if anyone has any basic tests they want me to perform, I'd be glad to do it..."

John

==================

John,

I would like to see some grabs to know how does the XL2 handles high contrast situations outdoors with different gamma and color matrix settings.

thanks !

Aaron Koolen September 9th, 2004 04:42 PM

I'd like to see some very bright spots shot, like blown out reflections on windows etc. Someone mentioned vertical smearing issues a while ago - so just curious.

Aaron