DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 owners (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/31834-xl2-owners.html)

Matt McDermitt September 14th, 2004 12:19 PM

Would XL2 owners just take a minute to see if your camera does this? If you angle the viewfinder up at little bit I find its more prominent. It does not do this as much in 30p and not at all in 60i.

Greg Milneck September 14th, 2004 01:02 PM

I dont see any flicker at all.

Kevin Chao September 14th, 2004 03:45 PM

imma look again in a dark room... brb

Kevin Chao September 14th, 2004 03:54 PM

okay check it... this is what i came up with... when you looking at it straight on, you won't be able to see the flickering...even when you switch modes... the VF lcd does not flicker in 4:3 mode... in 16:9 mode however, if you look at the lcd with the VF flipped up and at an angle, you'll see the flickering (only on the letterboxed black bars... the image itself is perfectly fine) and i also notice that it flickers on both top bar and bottom...only at an angle though...

lets try and figure out if this is normal... maybe it's the underscan thing??

John Wheeler September 14th, 2004 04:04 PM

Kevin, you described it perfectly. That is exactly what is happening with mine. And like you said, I wish we could find out fast, if it's normal or not, because I'm running out of time before I can send it to B&H for a fresh one.

j.

Kevin Chao September 14th, 2004 04:16 PM

shouldn't canon replace it for you... isn't that what the one year thing is all about??? warranty???

Aaron Shaw September 14th, 2004 04:27 PM

One would hope at least. I don't doubt Canons dedication though. I'm sure if it really is a bug that Canon will do something about it.

I wonder if the Canon guy that was talked to (Earlier post) checked the viewfinder from odd angles in 16:9? If not he probably wouldn't have seen the flicker as described by Kevin.....

Greg Milneck September 14th, 2004 04:31 PM

ok,
if I stand on my head and lean 20 degrees left, every time I blink my eyes mine flickers.

John Wheeler September 14th, 2004 04:31 PM

Aaron. I was on the phone with the guy at Canon, while he was looking in the VF ...and I described to him about looking in the VF from different angles. He could not detect anything at all.

And kevin, It just seems like sending it to Canon would be more of an ordeal. I would rather have a fresh camera, than a fixed one. ..Ofcourse, if Canon cant fix it, I know they'll send a new one. But it just seems like it would take along time for me to get it back. ...

j.

Barry Goyette September 14th, 2004 04:32 PM

Kevin..John...not happening on mine...you aren't sitting under some flourescent lights when doing this are you? When you say you've got to open the viewfinder to see it that would lead me to some environmental factor...regardless...it's not happening on mine (viewing under skylight).

Barry

John Wheeler September 14th, 2004 04:35 PM

Barry. It wasnt near any flourescent lights, in my case. I walked around the entire house, and it was the same. Also, I notice the flicker with the VF both ways, up and down.

j.

Aaron Shaw September 14th, 2004 04:36 PM

Interesting... wish I had one to experiment with ;).

Sorry about that John. I didn't notice that you were the one who had spoken with the Canon guy. Guess I should go back and check these things before posting!

Barry, How would Flourescent lighting cause flicker? I don't doubt that it could - don't get me wrong. I just don't understand the physics behind it.

Boyd Ostroff September 14th, 2004 04:47 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Wheeler : And kevin, It just seems like sending it to Canon would be more of an ordeal. I would rather have a fresh camera, than a fixed one. .. -->>>

Most warranties would not entitle you to this, since your camera becomes "used" the moment you open the box. This is not to say that your vendor wouldn't exchange it for a new one as a courtesy, but I'd be surprised if they were obligated to do so because of one defect...

Barry Goyette September 14th, 2004 04:47 PM

aaron--not sure that it could...but flickering can be caused by things being out of phase..both flourescent lights and the signal being fed to the LCD have a certain frequency...so when kevin described this is as being visible only when the LCD is open...I just wanted to rule out that their could be something external causing it...doesn't sound like this is the case.

barry

Evan Fisher September 14th, 2004 06:38 PM

When I was playing with a couple of XL2s at the WEVA expo, I don't recall seeing any kind of flicker. Mine will be here Thursday. I'll let you know more then.