DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   PAL version of XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/32069-pal-version-xl2.html)

Lauri Kettunen September 17th, 2004 02:47 AM

PAL version of XL2

Does anybody know when the XL2 PAL version will be available (in Europe)?

Rob Lohman September 17th, 2004 03:52 AM

http://www.xl1s.com/
Quote:

availability is expected mid to end of September.

Shaggy Franks October 5th, 2004 01:56 AM

What about, does anybody know a Dealer in the US that sale
PAL XL2? B&H seems not interested of getting one. :o(

Shaggy

Rainer Hoffmann October 5th, 2004 10:20 AM

Shaggy,

could it be that they are not allowed to sell the PAL version? After all the list price over here in Europe is 5500 Euros. Assuming that the Euro is about $ 1.20 we are paying $ 6600!! So, if they would sell the PAL Version in the US for $ 4999 (the list price for the NTSC version), wouldn't we all order our XL2 in the US?

Just a thought.

Shaggy Franks October 5th, 2004 10:42 AM

I wouldn't think so, since they do sell some PAL system which
Cost more then the NTsC System.

It's also a TAX thing if a European would order one from the US,
Wouldn’t they have to pay Taxes at Customs?

Shaggy

Jacob Ehrichs October 5th, 2004 11:29 AM

It was interesting to see that when BH was selling the XL1s the PAL version was less than the NTSC. They still have the PAL version on their site but the NTSC has been marked discontinued.

Steve Smith October 10th, 2004 05:58 AM

Touched it

Just came back from Sauter Photo in Munich. Played with the PAL XL2. It is some camera. I am seeing them on ebay for 4600€. Now I need to wait till they hit the 3000€ level .....

But, boy, it is sweet.

Joseph Andolina October 10th, 2004 10:12 PM

diference btwn PAL & NTSC XL2

I'm here in the US. I was wondering; if I had the choice of getting my hands on the NTSC version or the PAL version of the XL2, what would be the benifit of one over the other? Pardon my ignorance in this area, but anything toward this question would be appreciated.

Chris Hurd October 10th, 2004 10:56 PM

The biggest advantage of owning an NTSC camcorder in the United States is getting it serviced in the United States. If you buy a PAL XL2, you'll have to send it to Europe (London) for factory service. Which you should be doing at least once per year anyway. That's going to be a very expensive and time consuming process. Imagine having a shoot looming soon on the calender and your PAL XL2 is on the Canon bench halfway around the world in Jolly Old. Now imagine your NTSC XL2 in the shop in Irvine, and a free loaner XL2 from Canon USA in your hands. That's the advantage of an NTSC XL2 in the United States.

Shaggy Franks October 11th, 2004 12:44 AM

Well uh, so does anybody know where to get the XL2 in Pal in the US? Or, I guess not :o(

Thanks

Shaggy

Joseph Andolina October 11th, 2004 11:30 AM

Thanks Chris for that answer. It certainly makes sense. So I'm gathering that between the NTSC and PAL models, there is no overall quality differance then, am I correct?

Steve Smith October 11th, 2004 12:05 PM

NTSC PAL

Agree with what Chris said. I am an American who lives in Germany and basically witin the PAL world. Local service for PAL is easier than NTSC. Given the curren tprice delta b/n USA NTSC XL2 and PAL XL2, I was trying to figire out how I could buy a NTSC unit and get perfect PAL over here.

Thanks y'all
Steve

Wei K. Pun October 12th, 2004 09:31 AM

to Chirs and Steve

Hi! I did sent my old Canon XL1 PAL to Canon Service center in New Jersey, they do accept the it. So I don't see a problem. :)

Joseph Andolina October 12th, 2004 11:23 AM

PAL Better than NTSC?

My real question is, is there a quality differance between PAL and NTSC? And if so, what exactly would that be?

Chris Hurd October 12th, 2004 11:43 AM

PAL has a higher resolution at the trade-off of a slower frame rate.

The XL2 in PAL equals 50 fields per second using 550,000 pixels in 16:9 mode and 410,000 pixels in 4:3 mode.

The XL2 in NTSC equal 60 fields per second using 460,000 pixels in 16:9 mode and 350,000 pixels in 4:3 mode.

In my opinion the advantage of a higher pixel count in PAL cameras is negated by the fact that they are not serviceable in the U.S., requiring an expensive journey to Canon's factory service center in London. Plus you'll need a PAL monitor and you can't readily plug in to someone else's monitor, deck, or other DV camcorder, among other disadvantages... including missing out on the benefits of Canon USA's XL2 owner's club. To some people the extra pixels are worth it; to the majority they are not.