DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   NEW YORK CITY Canon XL2 Demos September 21-23 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/32261-new-york-city-canon-xl2-demos-september-21-23-a.html)

Don Berube September 21st, 2004 12:09 AM

NEW YORK CITY Canon XL2 Demos September 21-23

Hello everyone,

If you are in the NYC area, CANON will be demonstrating the new XL2 in detail at the Hotel Pennsylvania, Penntop Room North, 18th floor, 401 Seventh Ave. at 33rd Street, NYC on September 21 from 6pm-9pm.
This is being sponsored by ZGC and is FREE, but you will need to sign up here so they know how many to expect: http://zgc.com/zgc.nsf
You will also be able to see the new Canon XL2 demo footage, which contains footage which was shot locally in NYC. There will be a presentation with Q&A by the DP who shot this footage, as well as some of the production crew.
Guy Genin, Moderator of the P+S TECHNIK Digital Image Convertors Forum here at DVinfo.net, will be on hand to demonstrate the latest technology for filmmakers from P+S Technik, Chrosziel, Kata, Formatt, Bogen, Hummingbird, Nebtek, Sennheiser and Canon, of course.

ALSO, we will be showing three Canon XL2's along with the new demo footage during the 26th ANNUAL IFP MARKET at the Puck Center on 293 Lafayette Street. If anyone is in town between September 21-23, please do stop by the IFP Market and say hello. It's a great opportunity for all to touch and try the XL2 at length, as well as meet and network with indie filmmakers from around the world.

I hope to see you there!

- don

Gabriele Turchi September 21st, 2004 04:14 AM

Hy

It Is posssible put that clip demo (or some part of it) Oline?

It will be great for understand the power of the camera!

PS:if is possible ..........i personally prefer 24/30p mode at full rez and........ full data rate.......!

Thank you very much

Best regards

Gabriele

Dan Barnhill September 21st, 2004 11:45 PM

Don, thanks for posting this - glad I came across it today so I was able to make it down.

The presentation (powerpoint…) was fine, but didn’t have much new to offer anyone that has already done their homework.

The demo footage they were showing is the same canon demo clip that can be seen on the net - there was a link to it either in another thread on this group or one of the other dv groups. I can't find it now but it's the one that starts with the flamenco dancer.

The shots from that demo look substantially better on a decent monitor than it does over my crappy dial up connection; I thought it was pretty impressive. The 24p (2:3 and 2:3:3:2) stuff looked good. From what I saw (in the demo on their tv) this camera has a lot to offer.

The iris wheel, the ergonomics, the canon lenses with no barrel markings - I'm not really thrilled by that...but they aren’t deal breakers, and the camera does have options. It’s kinda like a Harley in that respect - you have a basic frame to work around, and you can trick it out as much as you want until the money runs out. ZGC had the mini 35 set up there, which is pretty cool (although ridiculously expensive). They had a stack of DVDs with the sample footage of that gear in action, a bunch of shorts and documentary – looks good. But at the price of their hardware and lenses, you might just be able to shoot in 16mm.

Bottom line in this highly uninformative post (sorry, it’s late) is - looks to me like a solid camera. In trying to appeal to a broad swath of consumers in order to stay solvent, they will never be able to make a camera that any one person will be 100% happy with – but from my untrained eye, it is what it is and that really isn’t too bad. For the 24p poor as hell shoestring filmmaker types - if the choice is between the panny and the XL2, I don’t think you can lose either way. Pick your flavor.

Dan
nyc

PS - For anyone who was there and was wondering that KABOOM was just as the dude was starting his presentation (and you haven’t seen the news yet), it was a bunch of manhole covers blowing out of the street over by Port Authority. Three years later and I’m still jumpy as hell…

Paul Figgiani September 22nd, 2004 11:36 AM

Dan,

I was thinking about going last eve. Decided not to go. What kind of turn out was there?

-paul.

Dan Barnhill September 22nd, 2004 01:41 PM

Hey Paul,

I think turn out was a lot smaller than the number who actually registered to go. Bush and traffic may have played a part. Maybe that explosion did too, who knows. I guess the room was about half full (bad at judging numbers...). Forty people? Maybe? Maybe less? If more, then not by much. How's that for a vague answer?

I'm gonna buy one.

Dan

Paul Figgiani September 22nd, 2004 01:54 PM

Dan,

Bush was the reason why i did not go. I want to buy the camera also. I am looking into it. Where will you buy it, B&H? I am trying to decide what to do with my XL1...

-paul.

Dan Barnhill September 22nd, 2004 01:59 PM

I think I'm gonna go with EVS. Tax is around $400 here. Shipping from there is $35, no tax.

Not that I don't want to support the country but...

Paul Figgiani September 22nd, 2004 02:14 PM

I am talking to EVS also...nice guy...I would not spend 5K at B&H either. Besides the tax, you will receive hardly any personalized service, etc.

-paul.

Paul Figgiani September 22nd, 2004 02:17 PM

Brian,

Check that...I am talking to Zotzdigital, not EVS...they sound like they are a great place to deal with.

-paul...