DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon 3x wide angle lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/32598-canon-3x-wide-angle-lens.html)

Frank Ward February 22nd, 2007 03:40 PM

Better Wide-angle XL2 Setup: Canon 3x or stock lens with adapter?

Double-post...please delete, mods!

Matthew Jackson March 29th, 2007 10:58 AM

3X Canon lens is kind of milky???

Hello All,

I have a Canon 3x that I bought off of ebay... maybe I was asking for it.

Anyway, I've been cleaning the surfaces carefully, but my footage appears a little milky... is there anything I need to do with the camera or should I call Canon or what?

thanks!

Mark Bournes March 29th, 2007 11:42 AM

Sounds like it's going to have to go to canon. My guess is something is wrong internally.

James Winslett July 8th, 2007 05:40 AM

3x lens ND filter specs?

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to come up with a comparison chart of F-stop/ND filters to help me maintain continuity when switching between different lenses. Does anyone know the specifications for the ND Filter on the 3x wide lens? 1/6, 1/32, etc. I've searched the forum, but couldn't find an answer for this in other threads.

Thanks.

Josh Keffer July 12th, 2007 09:18 AM

3X Lens Questions

I recently bought a used Canon 3X lens. Seems to be in great shape, glass is good, no marks or scratches. But there are two things it's doing that I'm curious about.

First, when I zoom out the lens makes a very soft ticking sound. It happens whether I use the zoom rocker or spin it manually. It does not do it when I zoom in or when the camera is turned off. Should I be concerned about this? It does not seem to effect the function of the lens.

Second, when shooting in very low light the autofocus pulses in and out as it searches for focus. My 20X will do this a little in the same light but will find focus fairly quickly. Is it normal to have less low light sensitivity with the 3X lens?

Thanks,
Josh

Peer Landa January 25th, 2008 11:08 AM

Trade a 20x for a 3x...?

Since I hardly use the tele on my 20x lens, I was thinking of selling it, or trade it for a Canon 3x lens... unless someone can talk me out of it. Seeing on B&H that the 3x cost $330 less than a 20x, I wonder what could be a fair trade?

-- peer

Jeff Anselmo January 25th, 2008 05:21 PM

Hi Peer,

Just so I understand your application with the 20x, are you just shooting at its widest angle, and not zooming in at all? If this is the case, then the 3x lens might be your answer.

As for me, we use the 3x about 80-90% of the time, and use the 20x for the rest. I find that both lenses are indisposable for our application (interviews, indoor, wildlife, landscapes, shallow/deep DOF, run and gun, etc.).

I guess if someone here were looking into buying an XL2 body only, you can sell them your 20x.

Best,

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com

Peer Landa January 26th, 2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo (Post 814411)
Just so I understand your application with the 20x, are you just shooting at its widest angle, and not zooming in at all? If this is the case, then the 3x lens might be your answer.

As for me, we use the 3x about 80-90% of the time, and use the 20x for the rest. I find that both lenses are indisposable for our application (interviews, indoor, wildlife, landscapes, shallow/deep DOF, run and gun, etc.).

I guess if someone here were looking into buying an XL2 body only, you can sell them your 20x.

Yes, that's pretty much it. Still, I'd like to have some zooming capability, hence, I hope the 3x's full tele (i.e. 75mm) will be sufficient. I haven't found out yet.

Although I've ordered a Century .6x lens for my 20x, I don't like the idea that its image quality won't be as good as with a 3x installed. (It's funny though -- the older I get the shorter the lenses I want. I bet I'll end up using the .6x on the 3x ;^)

By the way, any suggestion how much I can get for my perfect 20x ?

-- peer

Sam Sutch January 26th, 2008 03:25 PM

So does the 3x have different DOF properties properties than the 20x? I wouldn't assume so, as the imaging plane is the same. Is that correct?

Sam

John Walton January 28th, 2008 07:02 AM

Problem with 3x lens

I see looking through earlier threads that some of you have had the same problem as I have on my 3x wide angle lens. All of a sudden, in the middle of a shoot, i got the "Check Lens" message, followed shortly afterwards by a total loss of funcionality (no zoom, focus or appeture control).
Although this seems to be a "feature" of some of these lenses, no one actually states what the problem is and how easy it is to repair.
Can anyone enlighten me please.

John Walton January 31st, 2008 04:44 AM

I can now answer my own question as I have just received my lens back from the repairer. It needed a firmware upgrade. 1 week away and £70 worse off.

Why would a perfectly usable lens one minute suddenly need a firmware upgrade the next?

Richard Alvarez January 31st, 2008 06:46 AM

I suspect only the service tech who repaired it can give you the right answer, but since you seem to be looking for a guess... I'll make one.

An internal fuse blew.

Fuses blow because of two reasons. A surge in voltage, or a 'shock'. When they are older, they become more succeptable to either.

That's just a guess.

Chris Hurd January 31st, 2008 08:15 AM

Not saying you did this, but one possible cause is to remove the lens while the camera still has power. Hot crossed contacts on removal equals zapped lens. Always power down or go to standby mode when changing lenses.